What's going on?

DynV

I tried to post a reply at least a dozen times spread on ~36 hrs a post with .png & .zip attachment from 10,991 bytes to 158,965 bytes and had to reupload the files multiple times and kept getting error 500. Before getting to the 12th time I tried to use the form on Contact Us but I also ended up with the error 500. I thought the server was having difficulties but I then tried to post a reply with "test" and it worked.

What's going on? :mad: Don't the administrators look at the server error log? Ever thought of also putting an email address or some other form of contact in case your site doesn't work properly?

Update 1:

3 File(s) Attached, Size 28.3 KB
What? The ~155 Kb image is ~6 Kb in the Attachments and the ~60 Kb one is ~12 Kb in it; the zip file seem to be the same size.

Last edited:
I tried to post a reply at least a dozen times spread on ~36 hrs a post with .png & .zip attachment from 10,991 bytes to 158,965 bytes and had to reupload the files multiple times and kept getting error 500. Before getting to the 12th time I tried to use the form on Contact Us but I also ended up with the error 500. I thought the server was having difficulties but I then tried to post a reply with "test" and it worked.

What's going on? :mad: Don't the administrators look at the server error log? Ever thought of also putting an email address or some other form of contact in case your site doesn't work properly?

Update 1:

What? The ~155 Kb image is ~6 Kb in the Attachments and the ~60 Kb one is ~12 Kb in it; the zip file seem to be the same size.
Every once in a while (too often for my liking, but that's a rant for another time), the server loses its marbles and has to be restarted. Unfortunately, that's not anything we moderators can do. Either the server host restarts the server, or somebody has to contact the owner, via private e-mail. No, nothing will work on this forum once the back-end script (or database?) seizes.

I'm fairly certain that *.zip files, even where they're allowed as uploads, will not be opened by anybody here. Not from any poster.

Files displayed in the "attachment" box below a post are, I believe, thumbnails. These would naturally be smaller files. But clicking on the thumbnail (if that is indeed what you're seeing) should bring up a bigger image.

Yes, the process can sometimes be frustrating (for all of us, including moderators). I'm sorry you've been caught in one of these wicked loops. :oops:

I tried again and got an error 500 again. I tried posting a request here but it won't even let me do it, I put the request here.

I tested the Contact Us form, by using it to notify the site owner (Ted) about your issues. I did not receive any error message, so I've assumed that my message made it to his in-box.

The Contact Us form is the method for members to send email to Ted.

The size limit for .ZIP files is 97.7KB. I was successful, uploading a .ZIP file to this thread (now deleted).

I also succeeded in attaching a .PNG file (now deleted). The size limit for .PNG files is 488.3KB, with a maximum image-width of 620 pixels and a maximum image-height of 280 pixels.

Sometimes, after I get the 500 Server error message, the site stops responding entirely. (i.e., my browers get no response from the server, while trying to access anything). If I switch to another network (i.e., a different IP address), the site responds normally -- until I replicate actions leading to the 500 Server error message (at which point, the site stops responding, again). In these instances, I have found no workarounds other than 1) wait several hours, 2) cold reboot everything, including routers, or 3) create a new member account -- using a different network -- and then return to the original network.

I try door #2, first. If it works, great. If not, I try door #1. (I only tried door #3 once, and that was only for a test, but it worked when I tried.) :cool:

We cross-posted, so I just saw your URLs.

The URL for the .ZIP files leads me to an error message, but the image URLs (below) worked for me. Can you post the URLs in your other thread, instead of attaching the image files? Readers may use the zoom controls, to enlarge the images to a readable level.

Maybe the .PNG files won't upload here because the image heights are too large. Large-image attachments work best at this site by breaking the large image into multiple smaller images and cropping to remove wasted or irrelevant areas from the original.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10WkpVualfILyoIUGjSY4It41oFey92du/view

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gnLY_eV6lowVjzBfWXS84ghTzmhQcu9b

No. That URL leads to an error message.
The preview seem to only show when logged in (a Google account) but the download seem to be available anonymously, don't you see a download option as in the following?
google-drive-zip_download.jpg

If you can't download the .zip so the previous request mentioned (in the pastebin), please use this request instead.

Last edited:
Ah, I had thought there was an issue with the file itself. (I don't use any cloud services.)

I have attached your zip file to this thread. I did not experience any issues.

Thank you for your post in the other thread but the post #3 (in this thread) included the whole request in the contained pastebin link with the text and where to include inline the files, it wasn't only the posting of the .zip.

I'm not sure that I understand what else you're unable to do in the forum. Are you saying that you can't get the text from the pastebin site into your thread?

Yes. For both request (the pastebins), when I try posting what's in the outer quote (in the tag quote starting by "I apologize for the delay"), I get an error... 500.

Yes. For both request (the pastebins) …
Both requests? I see only one link in post #3.

I was able to paste what I could find, into your other thread. Let me know, if it's still not complete.

I, too, got the stupid 500 pizza server error message, and was kicked off the boards for a few hours. Something is corrupt in that thread (I note that one of the strings @{base_level} renders in post #11 as @{ba-se_level}, yet the source text shows no space there). Or, the server software has an issue, or the buggy forum software is causing yet another problem. I tried editing the copy in stages, and I got it to work by placing the last paragraph in a separate post.

I've gone through this sort of rigmarole in threads and a private message before. VERY annoying waste of time!!

Post #8 also have a pastebin link. Would you download the images in the URL and make them inline (through file management) ? I would like to delete the files on my google drive.

Post #8 also have a pastebin link.
Using that link, I don't see anything different from what I've already copied into your thread. Please copy any missing text into this thread, for me.

Would you download the images in the URL and make them inline (through file management) ? I would like to delete the files on my google drive.
Done. But, as I mentioned before, readers can zoom the images to legible sizes, on the drive. In your thread, they cannot. Those images greatly exceed the size restrictions (one height is more than 3400 pixels); I told you the height of .PNG files has been limited by forum software at 280 pixels. The forum software reduces anything larger, and , in the case of very large images, the attachment becomes small and unreadable. We get best results here by breaking large images into a number of smaller images.

Alternatively, one may upload their very large images to a third-party hosting site that provides zooming control. (Ensure that you choose a hosting site that does not add other images to your yours; otherwise, the links will be removed).

Cheers :cool:

Using that link, I don't see anything different from what I've already copied into your thread. Please copy any missing text into this thread, for me.
I was answering post #11 wit h post #12, just #11, meaning the text-only version or either or the pastebins wouldn't work.

This is a cross-post of some sort as before your post I was going to edit my last one to make an update to include the following, when the site crashed on me after I tried to make a preview, so I can't preview content now :???: : I recreated your 1st post of my request,the 1st part, so you may delete it. I can't recreate your 2nd post of my request, the 2nd part, if someone help me to recreate it, I'll ask you to delete its counterpart.

I told you the height of .PNG files has been limited by forum software at 280 pixels.
I thought it was only what was inline that was resized and clicking on it led to the full-sized version, or at least a larger resolution,

Update 1:

I see you merged the parts, please don't delete what's not in my recreation.

Last edited:
I recreated your 1st post of my request,the 1st part, so you may delete it.
Please confirm that you would like the following post deleted (i.e., post #11, in your other thread).

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/...metic-and-simple-functions-on-a-table/post#11

I see you merged the parts, please don't delete what's not in my recreation.
I'm not sure what this statement means.

I will not do anything to your other thread, unless you specifically ask me to. :cool:

I'm not sure what this statement means.
You edited the other thread post #11 according to my previous post (of this thread), I cannot explain better than what I did.

Please confirm that you would like the following post deleted (i.e., post #11, in your other thread).
https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/...metic-and-simple-functions-on-a-table/post#11
My previous post update 1 mentioned I don't want it deleted but edited. I'd like for whats in the other thread post #13 to be removed from your posts #11 & 12 and to get assistance on getting the remainder posted on my own; I'm not requiring you to do it, you already helped me plenty, if you want me to, fine, if not I can live with how things are after the edits I requested in this post.