0 * Infinity = 0 - where is the problem in the below mentioned proof?

Hi @BraveHeart258, thanks for your comments. Please review the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinitesimal.

ε - is a symbol to represent specific infinitesimal number, that is less than any real number, very close to 0, not equal to 0, but non-zero positive hyper-real number set , according to hyper-real set number lin.e
ω - is a symbol, that represent infinity in hyper real number set and equal to 1/ε.

The proposed expression of x * (1/x) = 1 is based on an approximation with an assumption that ε ≈ 0 , but ε <> 0. It is non-zero hyper-real infinitesimal number.

why should I approximate ε value as 0, when I can derive a computation without approximation ?
IMO, approximation is used for computational convenience in mathematics, but not for deriving different result.

In my derivation above, I did not approximate ε value any time to 0.
I clearly distinguished the value of ε from 0. In fact, I stated 0/0 not equal to 0/ε, because ε is non-zero hyper-real infinitesimal number.
My derivation above maintained that ε not equal to 0.

I don't see a reason / rationale to say ε ≈ 0. So I won't.

The proposed approach is not appearing correct to me.

Last edited:
I think the easiest way I picture in my mind and how to teach someone else is the following:

In my understanding, ∞ can any number above zero.
?? Looks like you left out a word or two

When someone uses infinity they are defining numbers from as (infinitesimally small) --> ∞
You can talk about "infinity" without dealing with "infinitesmals"

Thus, infinity is just a test going from the smallest number to the highest number.
I don't know what this means. How is "infinity" a "test"? How do you apply that test and to what?

Testing many numbers to see if they fit.
Another ungrammatical and non-understandable sentence!

Let me ask you this way: Can the following be true? 0.1 = 3? No. Thus, infinity can't be used as a number
Neither 0.1 nor 3 has anything to do with infinity? Did you mean "0 times 1"? What are you trying to say?

Thus, you cannot use it as a real number. We use infinity to test functions to see where they will end in a long period of time. That allows us to make better decisions in the workforce. Math is a tool box thus Consider infinity just a tool like taking a derivative.

Please correct me if I am incorrect. Thanks!
I can't say you are incorrect because I don't understand what you are saying!

I still think that if ε = number [set in stone one value]

such that ε ≈ 0 ≈ 0.000001 ≈ 0.0000000000001; but does ( 1/0.000001 ) = ( 1/0.0000001 )?

Does 1,000,000 = 100,000,000 ?

Ask yourself. What is infinity? Is it 2? is it 3? or is infinity actually [2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10....] and every number in between going to the highest value]?
between (1<x<∞)

In my opinion, infinity is an infinite array of numbers from (1<x<∞)
It is a testing concept that allows the user understand where the function is headed.

Can say that infinity is 2, or 3? No. I can say however that infinity contains the values of [2,3]
Thus I can use 2 and 3 to compare to see if they are equal making it reveal if the function of multiplying infinite is accurate.

Last edited:
With regards to 0*∞:

Lets say ∞*x=∞*x; x=0 ∞(set number 3)=3
0=0

0*∞(set number 1)=0*∞(set number 2)
0=0

If you solve this your answer would be 0=0 this means the problem has an infinite number of solutions. For an answer to have no solution both answers would not equal each other.

0*∞=∞? no idea?

Does that mean its just a line on a graph x=0 where I multiplied 0*∞ =0 yet still had x=some number in the array of infinity?

is 0*∞=(0,∞)?

I don't know. You would have to ask a Math Doctor

In my opinion, infinity is an infinite array of numbers from (1<x<∞)

IMO, infinity does not represent a set / array of numbers from (1 < x < ∞)
It rather represents one unbounded value , which is not quantifiable, using
our number systems. Here is the reference material, I used for my understanding.

To conclude this thread, I am summarising the derivation to see if anyone else has feedback with minor adjustments.

In hyper real number system or surreal number system, let ε be the smallest positive infinitesimal number, very close to 0, but not equal to 0. Let ω be positive infinity (i.e. unbounded value) in hyper-real number system. Then we can define ω as

ω = Lim (x => ε) (1/x) where ε ≠ 0 and ε is non-zero hyper-real smallest infinitesimal number.

As ω is infinity in hyper-real number set *R , ω ≈ ∞. How is this correct ?

*R hyper-real number set is super-set for R (real number set).

ω is unbounded number (infinity) in *R

∞ is unbounded number (infinity) in R

As both are unbounded in their respective number sets and R (real number set) is subset of *R (hyper-real number set), therefore ω ≈ ∞.

0 * ∞ ≈ 0 * ω = 0 * Lim (x => ε) (1/x) where ε ≠ 0
=> 0 * 1/ ε
=> 0/ ε => 0

0 / ε ≠ 0/0 because ε≠0.

0/0 is undefined. 0/ε cannot be undefined because ε is non-zero smallest hyper-real infinitesimal number.
0 is also a member of hyper-real number set and and also infinitesimal number. 0 / ε is an arithmetic
operation in hyper-real number set, which follows similar rules of real number set.

Hence 0/ε = 0 / non-zero hyper-real number = 0 / any number = 0.

So we can conclude that 0 * ω = 0, hence 0 * ∞ ≈ 0.

Since ω is unbounded and infinity in hyper-real number set *R (i.e. super-set of R – real number set), ω cannot be less than ∞. Because if ω < ∞ and ω is the unbounded infinity in hyper-real number set *R, there would be no further values beyond ω in hyper-real number set *R. But ∞ would exist as higher than ω and ∞ is unbounded value of Real number set R , which is subset of hyper-real number set *R. Since this possibility of ω < ∞ is contradicting the fundamental definition of hyper-real number set, this possibility cannot be true. There fore ∞ <= ω.

But ∞ is unbounded and cannot be less than any other real number that could exist. Using these two inferences, we can conclude that ∞ = ω or ∞ = ω - ε, because ε would be infinitesimal positive variation from ∞ (infinity in R) to ω (infinity in *R), where ε > 0 and ε is the smallest infinitesimal hyper-real number.

With substitution, we consider a case of ∞ = ω, then 0 * ∞ = 0 * ω = 0

if we consider the case of ∞ = ω - ε.
0 * ∞ = 0 * (ω - ε) = 0 * ω – 0 * ε

We know that 0 * ε = 0, as ε≠0.
We already proved that 0 * ω = 0 / ε = 0

So 0 * ∞ = 0 * ω – 0 * ε = 0 / ε - 0 * ε = 0 – 0 = 0

Hence we can infer the following statements.

1. ( ꝏ Є R ) <= (ω Є *R)
2. And ∞ <= ω, then 0 * ∞ = 0 as proved above.

So we can conclude that 0 * ∞ = 0

Any further feedback ?

Another minor adjustment in the derivation.
I mentioned this ∞ = ω - ε. This may not be clear enough. if ∞ < ω, then ω may (n*ε) more than ∞ where n > 0. Even if this is the case ,the derivation changes as follows.

0 * ∞ = 0 * ω – 0 * n * ε = 0 / ε - 0 * ε = 0 – 0 = 0

My opinion is such that [ 0, 1, ∞ ] are all identities of each other. The only way to prove that is to perform a matrix identity test between all three values.

As such I believe you are proving the identity but you are using the wrong tool to do it.