Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Venn Diagram: prob's P(1)=0.2, P(2)=0.25, P(3)=0.35, P(4)=0.05, P(5)=0.1, P(6)=0.05.

  1. #1

    Venn Diagram: prob's P(1)=0.2, P(2)=0.25, P(3)=0.35, P(4)=0.05, P(5)=0.1, P(6)=0.05.

    A sample space contains six sample points and events A, B, and C as shown in the Venn diagram. The probablities of the sample points are P(1)=0.2, P(2)=0.25, P(3)=0.35, P(4)=0.05, P(5)=0.1, P(6)=0.05. Use the Venn diagram and the probabilities of the sample points to find:
    P(C)= 0.15
    _ _
    P(B|C)=
    P(A|C)= 0
    I figured out two of the probabilities, but I'm having trouble with the third one. For the first one I added all portions of C to get 0.15. I wasn't able to answer the second one.
    Screenshot 2018-02-06 at 6.18.54 PM.jpg
    Last edited by megarust; 02-06-2018 at 07:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,082
    You'll have to provide the picture. Please also demonstrate how you arrived at your answers t the first two.
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

  3. #3

    Picture Added

    Quote Originally Posted by tkhunny View Post
    You'll have to provide the picture. Please also demonstrate how you arrived at your answers t the first two.
    I uploaded the picture.

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,082
    P(B|C)
    1) P(5) is what?
    2) P(5)/P(C) is what?
    Assuming that you are in C, what is the probability that you are ALSO in B?

    P(A|C)
    Assuming that you are in C, what is the probability that you are ALSO in A?
    "Unique Answers Don't Care How You Find Them." - Many may have said it, but I hear it most from me.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    60
    [Not the OP] Can I ask a dumb question about this problem? Maybe I just don't understand the Venn diagram representation of the sample space of possible outcomes, but what is the difference between point 1 and point 2? It seems to be that both represent the outcome that 'A has occurred, while neither B nor C has occurred."

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,483
    Quote Originally Posted by j-astron View Post
    [Not the OP] Can I ask a dumb question about this problem? Maybe I just don't understand the Venn diagram representation of the sample space of possible outcomes, but what is the difference between point 1 and point 2? It seems to be that both represent the outcome that 'A has occurred, while neither B nor C has occurred."
    The probability that event A but neither event B nor event C has occurred is indeed the sum of the probabilities that 1 or 2 has occurred. This does not make them the same event. If A is the event that "the animal seen was a mammal," 1 is the event that "the animal seen was a whale," and 2 is the event that " the animal seen was a bat," we do not conclude that bats are whales because both are mammals. Ultimately, Venn diagrams are about categorization and the fact that the same "atomic" event may fit into more than one category of sets of events.

    Does that help?
    Last edited by JeffM; 02-20-2018 at 11:55 AM.

  7. #7
    Elite Member stapel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    15,658

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by megarust View Post
    A sample space contains six sample points and events A, B, and C as shown in the Venn diagram.

    Screenshot 2018-02-06 at 6.18.54 PM.jpg

    The probablities of the sample points are P(1)=0.2, P(2)=0.25, P(3)=0.35, P(4)=0.05, P(5)=0.1, P(6)=0.05. Use the Venn diagram and the probabilities of the sample points to find:


    i. P(C)= 0.15
    _ _
    ii. P(B|C)=

    iii. P(A|C)= 0
    I figured out two of the probabilities, but I'm having trouble with the third one. For the first one I added all portions of C to get 0.15. I wasn't able to answer the second one.
    You say that you "figured out two of the probabilities", but that you are "having trouble with the third one" and weren't "able to answer the second one"...? Does this mean that actually you've only completed what I've labelled as (i), and still need help with (ii) and (iii)? Also, between the first probability (P(C)) and the second (P(B|C)) in your post, there is a line with two underscore characters. What is the significance of this?

    Thank you!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    The probability that event A but neither event B nor event C has occurred is indeed the sum of the probabilities that 1 or 2 has occurred. This does not make them the same event. If A is the event that "the animal seen was a mammal," 1 is the event that "the animal seen was a whale," and 2 is the event that " the animal seen was a bat," we do not conclude that bats are whales because both are mammals. Ultimately, Venn diagrams are about categorization and the fact that the same "atomic" event may fit into more than one category of sets of events.

    Does that help?
    Ah yeah. I should have realized it was just "two possible events that both fall into the category of A", but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •