Thread: Alg II / Pre-Calc w/ Logs: Given log_x(y)+log_y(x)=3, find log_x(y^2)+log_y(x^2)

Alg II / Pre-Calc w/ Logs: Given log_x(y)+log_y(x)=3, find log_x(y^2)+log_y(x^2)

Hi there.

The question I have to complete is this : "Let x and y be two positive real numbers such that logxy+logyx = 3. Find the value of logxy2+logyx2." Now, I have simplified the equation down to 2logx(y)+2logy(x), but I don't know how to find the value after that. Would the 3 from the original equation have to be squared as well? Any guidance from there would be helpful.

Thanks!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikithecat View Post
    Hi there.

The question I have to complete is this : "Let x and y be two positive real numbers such that logxy+logyx = 3. Find the value of logxy2+logyx2." Now, I have simplified the equation down to 2logx(y)+2logy(x), but I don't know how to find the value after that. Would the 3 from the original equation have to be squared as well? Any guidance from there would be helpful.

Thanks!
    2logx(y)+2logy(x) ......... factor out 2

= 2 * [logx(y)+logy(x)] ...... continue....
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

Hi there.

Thanks!
    Don't square; just factor out the 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Subhotosh Khan View Post
    2logx(y)+2logy(x) ......... factor out 2

= 2 * [logx(y)+logy(x)] ...... continue....
    How would the 3 in the original equation be integrated into this? Would it be squared, would it be left as 3...?

Elite Member
    Hi there.

Thanks!
    Try it this way.

[tex]\text {GIVEN: } x,\ y \in \mathbb R^+ \text { and } log_x(y) + log_x(y) = 3.[/tex]

[tex]\text {Let } u = log_x(y) \text { and } v = log_y(x) \implies[/tex]

[tex]u + v = 3 \text { and } log_x(y^2) = 2u \text { and } log_y(x^2) = 2v \implies [/tex]

[tex]log_x(y^2) + log_y(x^2) = 2u + 2v = 2(u + v) = WHAT?[/tex]

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    Try it this way.

[tex]\text {GIVEN: } x,\ y \in \mathbb R^+ \text { and } log_x(y) + log_x(y) = 3.[/tex]

[tex]\text {Let } u = log_x(y) \text { and } v = log_y(x) \implies[/tex]

[tex]u + v = 3 \text { and } log_x(y^2) = 2u \text { and } log_y(x^2) = 2v \implies [/tex]

[tex]log_x(y^2) + log_y(x^2) = 2u + 2v = 2(u + v) = WHAT?[/tex]
    Oh, I see now! Using a simpler version of the problem was helpful. I was over-analyzing it, believing that I needed to find the values of x and y when it was really as simple as that. Thank you!