Parallel: Is y = 3y -7 and y = -3x -2 parallel? Why or why not?

happiness

Is y = 3y -7 and y = -3x -2 parallel? Why or why not? I think yes since there slopes are both 3, they just have opposite sides?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Is y = 3y -7 and y = -3x -2 parallel? Why or why not? I think yes since there slopes are both 3, they just have opposite sides?

I mean *opposite signs*

Is that correct?

Is y = 3y -7 and y = -3x -2 parallel? Why or why not? I think yes since there slopes are both 3, they just have opposite signs?

You can check for yourself. Try graphing both lines (by plotting points, or any other way), and see whether they are parallel.

Then you can answer the "why" question (that is, what about the equations tells you this).

You can check for yourself. Try graphing both lines (by plotting points, or any other way), and see whether they are parallel.

Then you can answer the "why" question (that is, what about the equations tells you this).
Thank you

Opposite numbers are NOT equal! 7 \(\displaystyle \neq\) -7, -19 \(\displaystyle \neq\) 19,..... So even if the slopes were 3 and -3, which they aren't, the lines would NOT be parallel because the lines had different slopes. 3 and -3 are as different as 2 and -4 !!!!!

No,, I do not expect the first equation is correct.

Check the source (again?) to see if it should be "y = 3x - 7" instead.

That's what my question is. I'll ask my teacher. Thanks.

In an earlier post you said that the slopes were 3 and-3. In my earlier post I said that these numbers were not the same.
What is the requirement for two lines to be parallel?

In an earlier post you said that the slopes were 3 and-3. In my earlier post I said that these numbers were not the same.
What is the requirement for two lines to be parallel?
same slopes

same slopes

OK, good. So for two lines to be parallel they need to have the same slope. Well you know the slopes of each of the given lines, so are the two lines parallel or not?

OK, good. So for two lines to be parallel they need to have the same slope. Well you know the slopes of each of the given lines, so are the two lines parallel or not?
not parallel

same slopes

No those are not lines with same slopes!

If you plot those, you will see that one of those slopes UP to the right - and the other slopes DOWN to the right. That is NOT EQUAL!

No those are not lines with same slopes!

If you plot those, you will see that one of those slopes UP to the right - and the other slopes DOWN to the right. That is NOT EQUAL!
The OP was answering my question which was what is the requirement for two lines to be parallel. At least I hope that was what the response meant.