Determining % from Static and Average Numbers

gmanbos

I'm not sure if this is even the right spot or if my question will make sense....but I am trying to determine what is the % of a certain data point using a static/discrete number and comparing it to an average. I can get the % based on those two numbers but I guess I'm not it is appropriate or even a valuable data point since I am using a concrete figure and only an average.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
G

I'm not sure if this is even the right spot or if my question will make sense....but I am trying to determine what is the % of a certain data point using a static/discrete number and comparing it to an average. I can get the % based on those two numbers but I guess I'm not it is appropriate or even a valuable data point since I am using a concrete figure and only an average.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
G
It does not make sense to me. By "static/discrete number" do you simply mean a number? "Static" has a meaning in dynamics. "Discrete" has a meaning in discrete mathematics. What the combination is supposed to mean, I do not know.

Whether it makes sense to compare a number to an average depends on whether the number and the numbers being averaged are of comparable things. If you compare the weight of an orange to the average weight of an apple in a bag of apples, that comparison is not likely to have much (if any) meaning. If you compare the weight of an apple to the average weight of an apple in a bag of apples, that comparison may well be meaningful.

Whether a numeric comparison is meaningful is not primarily a mathematical question. In many cases, it can be decided on the basis of common sense.