Finding area of a triangle using only Pythagorean theorem

sel147

IMG-acefd9d0f98ac3064d6db600684cde3d-V-1~2.jpg
So, the area of this triangle is to be calculated using only simple methods. I've calculated partial sides with the information I had, but found myself unable to proceed without the use of trigonometry. Any ideas on this one?

View attachment 10954
So, the area of this triangle is to be calculated using only simple methods. I've calculated partial sides with the information I had, but found myself unable to proceed without the use of trigonometry. Any ideas on this one?

1) I dare you to define "simple"?
2) What did you manage from the Pythagorean Theorem?
3) Did you notice that AC(extended)B is a Right Triangle? How about BC(extended)A

3) Did you notice that AC(extended)B is a Right Triangle? How about BC(extended)A

1) no use of trigonometry. Only Pythagorean theorem and perhaps transforming the triangle into parallelogram with matching sides?
2) Using info that hypothenuse and one side are given ( 15 and 5 cm) i found the third side, and also found that small extended piece using 15 and 8 as a data.
3) Yes and I've tried using that but no success

1) like first grade of highschool level, no trigonometry, only Pythagorean theoreme
2) I found the part of the side between the height of a triangle and B, and that short extended side on the right from C
3) yes, tried using that but no success

View attachment 10954
Do you realize that the post does not say what is to be done?
I don't see what the Pythagorean theorem has to do with area.
Using only one half base times height the area of triangle ABC is \(\displaystyle 0.5(15)(6)=45cm^2\)
Now using the Pythagorean theorem, you can find the lengths of \(\displaystyle \overline{AB}~\&~\overline{AC}\)

View attachment 10954
Hi, I am a curious type of person and I am just wondering which of the seven triangles you are trying to find the area of?

I think the OP is trying to find the area of the shaded, labeled triangle (ABC). :cool:

1) no use of trigonometry. Only Pythagorean theorem and perhaps transforming the triangle into parallelogram with matching sides?
2) Using info that hypothenuse and one side are given ( 15 and 5 cm) i found the third side, and also found that small extended piece using 15 and 8 as a data.
3) Yes and I've tried using that but no success

Perhaps you could show the work that you believe did not lead to success?

Seems to be an erroneous diagram:
you have (top right) 2 lines length 8 and 15 that
appear to be impossible...

EDIT: I'll be blunt, your diagram makes no sense!!
Seriously, can you be more clear? Why not 15, 8 and sqrt(181)?

Well, all I'll say is "try to draw a representative diagram"; impossible!
But might work if sqrt(181) switched with the 8; haven't tried that...
But if it does, then diagram is faulty...

If you're able to draw that mess to scale as presented,
you get "geometric immortality" :p

Last edited:
First it is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{161}\approx 12.7\) not \(\displaystyle \sqrt{181}\) see here
Well, all I'll say is "try to draw a representative diagram"; impossible!
But might work if sqrt(181) switched with the 8; haven't tried that...But if it does, then diagram is faulty...If you're able to draw that mess to scale as presented.
Yes the diagram is faulty. Have you ever seen a wedge with a dot for a right angle?
But allowing for its faults the problem makes some sense.

Do you realize that the post does not say what is to be done?
I don't see what the Pythagorean theorem has to do with area.
Using only one half base times height the area of triangle ABC is \(\displaystyle 0.5(15)(6)=45cm^2\)
Now using the Pythagorean theorem, you can find the lengths of \(\displaystyle \overline{AB}~\&~\overline{AC}\)

My idea was finding the length of the side AB and calculating the area with the simple (side*height)/2. But the height does not divide the triangle's base into two equal parts?

Seems to be an erroneous diagram:
you have (top right) 2 lines length 8 and 15 that
appear to be impossible...

EDIT: I'll be blunt, your diagram makes no sense!!
I don't think there are two of the same length?:confused:

First it is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{161}\approx 12.7\) not \(\displaystyle \sqrt{181}\) see here

Yes the diagram is faulty. Have you ever seen a wedge with a dot for a right angle?
But allowing for its faults the problem makes some sense.
(· and Г· are both legit ways to mark a right angle in EU.

Perhaps you could show the work that you believe did not lead to success?
I found the sqrt(161) side and 10*sqrt(2) side.
Then tried to do something about the fact that the extended ones are also right triangles...