Symbolic Logic

José Guilherme

Hello

I've registered in the forum in order to find someone to discuss some mathematical logic problems. My degree is in philosophy and not in mathematics. So I wonder where would be the best section to have this kind of discussions.

Thanks.

I've registered in the forum in order to find someone to discuss some mathematical logic problems. My degree is in philosophy and not in mathematics. So I wonder where would be the best section to have this kind of discussions.
One possibility would be the sub-forum Math Odds & Ends.

As I understand it, the questions you have are about symbolic logic, not about philosophy. That would probably fit under Advanced Math. On the other hand, if you just want to chat about ideas rather than solve problems or understand math, then Odds and Ends would work.

But where you put it is not really so important; moderators can move it if necessary, and people will see it wherever it is.

(M)oderators can move it if necessary, and people will see it wherever it is.
Another alternative is for this forum could use a new subforum: Discrete Mathematics for set theory, logic, and graph theory questions.

As I understand it, the questions you have are about symbolic logic, not about philosophy. That would probably fit under Advanced Math. On the other hand, if you just want to chat about ideas rather than solve problems or understand math, then Odds and Ends would work.

But where you put it is not really so important; moderators can move it if necessary, and people will see it wherever it is.

Ok. Thanks. I would do just that. Yes... my ongoing study (basically the free will problem, in particular the Consequence Argument) does require that I master some topics of formal logic that were not covered by my undergraduate course, so I have to study that on my own. First I studied Lemmon's "Beginning Logic" and Tomassi "Logic" and now I moved to Bonevac's "Deduction". After that I'm gonna try Sider's "Logic for Philosophy", LTF Gamut "Logic, Language and Meaning", .

Sometimes, as you would have guessed, to have someone to discuss a problem is a great help.