2 problems I can't solve

Trying to help my son, but it's been a long time since school.

5 + 2x = 4x -2x + 6
X=

and

8x + 4x - 3 = 6x + 4 - 4
X=
It would be useful if your son directly communicated with us.

Please check the problems for their "correctness" in the post. The first problem is "inconsistent" equation.

There is something wrong with the first equation.

The first step is collect like terms, on the Right Hand Side, you have 4x and -2x, (if you have 4 apples and give away 2, how many apples you got?)

5+2x = 2x+6

Once you got to this point would be to move the x to the same side of the balance, to do that, you can take away 2 'apples' if you also take away 2 'apples' on the other side of the balance.

5+2x - 2x = 2x-2x+6

This is where you see that this equation is not solvable, as you will have: 5=6 what is an absurd

Using the same method on the second one, collecting like terms, we have

12x -3 = 6x

We want to have all the terms with the 'x' on the same side and the rest on the other.
Starting with the 'x's, we will subtract 6x on both sides (to keep the balance)

12x-6x -3 = 6x-6x
6x-3=0

The '3' on the left is subtracting, to get rid of it, we will have to do the opposite of what is doing. We will add 3 on both sides to keep the balance

6x-3+3=3
6x=3

Finally, 6x is the same as 6 times x. To move the 6 to the other side, we do again the opposite. Dividing by 6 on both sides:

6x/6=3/6
x=1/2

I posted rather than him because I dont want him to rely on outside help too much and begin to abuse it.
With school being online currently, he doesn't have the direct contact with the teacher and other students, so just trying to help him out.

The first equation is how it is written on his worksheet.

There is something wrong with the first equation.

The first step is collect like terms, on the Right Hand Side, you have 4x and -2x, (if you have 4 apples and give away 2, how many apples you got?)

5+2x = 2x+6

Once you got to this point would be to move the x to the same side of the balance, to do that, you can take away 2 'apples' if you also take away 2 'apples' on the other side of the balance.

5+2x - 2x = 2x-2x+6

This is where you see that this equation is not solvable, as you will have: 5=6 what is an absurd

Using the same method on the second one, collecting like terms, we have

12x -3 = 6x

We want to have all the terms with the 'x' on the same side and the rest on the other.
Starting with the 'x's, we will subtract 6x on both sides (to keep the balance)

12x-6x -3 = 6x-6x
6x-3=0

The '3' on the left is subtracting, to get rid of it, we will have to do the opposite of what is doing. We will add 3 on both sides to keep the balance

6x-3+3=3
6x=3

Finally, 6x is the same as 6 times x. To move the 6 to the other side, we do again the opposite. Dividing by 6 on both sides:

6x/6=3/6
x=1/2
Thank you very much.

We were coming up with the same thing on the first equation, so at least we are not crazy lol.
On the 2nd one, I'll look at our worksheet and see where we went wrong.
I think we got to the 12x - 3 = 6x, but then we fell apart.
Pretty sure we moved things to the right with a -12x and got -3 = -6× so we were getting x = 2, but I'll review and confirm.
I have him with me at work today to try and give him a hand and keep him on task a little more (both my kids think this is summer vacation already)

Trying to help my son, but it's been a long time since school.

5 + 2x = 4x -2x + 6
X=

and

8x + 4x - 3 = 6x + 4 - 4
X=
Hi there!
Have you heard of "combining like terms" before? Here is an example worked on your problem:
5+2x=4x-2x+6
(5-6)=(4x-2x-2x)
-1=0x
Wonderful. There are no solutions to the problem as written.

We'll try the next one when you post back. :)

8-)

Thank you very much.

We were coming up with the same thing on the first equation, so at least we are not crazy lol.
On the 2nd one, I'll look at our worksheet and see where we went wrong.
I think we got to the 12x - 3 = 6x, but then we fell apart.
Pretty sure we moved things to the right with a -12x and got -3 = -6× so we were getting x = 2, but I'll review and confirm.
I have him with me at work today to try and give him a hand and keep him on task a little more (both my kids think this is summer vacation already)

You have it right with:

From -3=-6x

We want to know the value of 1 x, not -6, so we divide by -6 on both sides. -3 divided by -6 is also 1/2 :)

I think we got to the 12x - 3 = 6x, but then we fell apart....

....Pretty sure we moved things to the right with a -12x and got -3 = -6× so we were getting x = 2, but I'll review and confirm.

......(both my kids think this is summer vacation already).
That's very funny. They're having beach dreams already.?

You've got it right....sorry, we couldn't see that you had posted back because of the mod approval thing. Good work!

That's very funny. They're having beach dreams already.?

You've got it right....sorry, we couldn't see that you had posted back because of the mod approval thing. Good work!
Firemath - please be careful with your responses.

The Dad writes:

...we moved things to the right with a -12x and got -3 = -6× so we were getting x = 2,

You should know that is INCORRECT.

Firemath - please be careful with your responses.

The Dad writes:

...we moved things to the right with a -12x and got -3 = -6× so we were getting x = 2,

You should know that is INCORRECT.
I quoted the wrong post because I couldn't see the rest of them.

I should really be less hasty.