30 - 2a = 8 - 5(a - 8)

Anifex

I need help solving this from start to finish i have a test tomorrow and i'm lost
30 - 2a = 8 - 5(a - 8)

Expand parentheses.

Gather like terms.

Place the unknown on one side of the equation and the numerals on the other.

Simplify each side to lowest terms.

Solve for a.

Try each step on your own; ask us whether you have made an error. If not, try the next step.

YOU can do this problem.

I need help solving this from start to finish i have a test tomorrow and i'm lost
30 - 2a = 8 - 5(a - 8)
The most useful thing we can do for you is to point out mistakes you make. If we show you what to do, you won't know what to avoid, because we're unlikely to think of mentioning an error that results from your particular wrong ways of thinking.

So please try solving the equation, showing all your steps, and we can tell you you're good, or tell you what to do differently on the test.

To put it another way, we don't yet know where you're lost, so we can't yet tell you what to do about it.

Reactions: pka
30 - 2a = 8 - 5(a - 8)
Hi. We can't solve for a variable, as long as it appears inside grouping symbols. Use the distributive property, to multiply (a-8) by -5. Doing that will get rid of the parentheses. You can then proceed to combine like-terms.

Using the distributive property to multiply -5(a-8) is what Jeff means, when he says "expand parentheses". In math, the word 'expand' often means 'multiply'. Check out the forum guidelines, too, if you haven't yet read them. Thanks!

?