Division Sentences: Does 'sentence' actually answer the Q?

AmyR

My daughter came home with the following problem:
Tony has 30 baseball cards. He bought sheet protectors that hold 5 rows with 5 cards each. How many baseball cards will he have left over?

The answer is supposed to be written as: ___/____=___r___

How in the world are you supposed to write this as a division sentence? 30/25=1r5? That does not answer "how many cards he will have left over", but "how many sheet protectors it would take to hold the cards", right? I am feeling terribly stupid trying to figure this out.

The kids have just been introduced to division and fact families. Would a teacher go from that to this hard concept?

Thanks for any insight into this mess!!!!

Re: Division Sentences

AmyR said:
My daughter came home with the following problem:
Tony has 30 baseball cards. He bought sheet protectors that hold 5 rows with 5 cards each. How many baseball cards will he have left over?

How in the world are you supposed to write this as a division sentence? 30/25=1r5? That does not answer "how many cards he will have left over", but "how many sheet protectors it would take to hold the cards", right? I am feeling terribly stupid trying to figure this out.

The kids have just been introduced to division and fact families. Would a teacher go from that to this hard concept?

Thanks for any insight into this mess!!!!

You point is totally valid. I would write the answer and put the teachers notation included.

AmyR said:
How in the world are you supposed to write this as a division sentence? 30/25=1r5?
My guess (and this is only a guess) is that you're supposed to use the blanks to "show your work", and then, separately, give an "in English words" interpretation of the "sentence" which answers the actual question.

But I'm only a math teacher with a masters degree in math (rather than an educator with a bachelors degree in education), so I could be very wrong. :roll:

Good luck!

Eliz.

Re: Division Sentences

AmyR said:

How in the world are you supposed to write this as a division sentence? 30/25=1r5? That does not answer "how many cards he will have left over", but "how many sheet protectors it would take to hold the cards", right?
Looks fine to me: 1r5 means he has 5 Remaining (left over) cards.

Try another: 79 cards; 79 / 25 = 3 r 4
Used 3 protectors; has 4 remaining cards.