5th grade cube word problem

Felstrex

TEXT: Caroline's cube has an edge that measures 2 centimeters. Dimitri's cube has an edge that measures 4 centimeters. If Caroline's cube cube was stacked stacked on top of Diitri's cube what would be the total volume of the combined solid?

Problem: This was a question on my daughters test in school and she got it wrong by answering 8cm(3), obviously i understand it would be higher but I can not calculate the number the teacher got to 72cm(3). I assume this would be a stair type problem, i am can not get a graph in sorry but i tried to create a stair 3D style graph and multiply length x width x height but wasn't able to get my measurements to break up and separate right. any help would be appreciated since it has been many years since this has been relevant to me.

TEXT: Caroline's cube has an edge that measures 2 centimeters. Dimitri's cube has an edge that measures 4 centimeters. If Caroline's cube cube was stacked stacked on top of Diitri's cube what would be the total volume of the combined solid?

Problem: This was a question on my daughters test in school and she got it wrong by answering 8cm(3), obviously i understand it would be higher but I can not calculate the number the teacher got to 72cm(3). I assume this would be a stair type problem, i am can not get a graph in sorry but i tried to create a stair 3D style graph and multiply length x width x height but wasn't able to get my measurements to break up and separate right. any help would be appreciated since it has been many years since this has been relevant to me.

total volume = V1 + V2 = 43 + 23 = 64 + 8 = ?? cm3

As Subhotosh Khan implied, it doesn't make any difference where the cubes are placed, the total volume is 72 cubic cm. When Caroline's cube is stacked on top of Diitri's cube, the whole structure just makes one solid structure instead of being in two different pieces if they were placed apart.