5x5-5÷5+5=?

No there's not! Certainly not for those educated in mathematics. There may "appear" to be conflicting rules and conventions to non-mathematicians, but that's based on misunderstandings or "missed" understandings in the first place. That's not the fault of mathematics or mathematicians.

If they are teaching that now that is all very well. You keep mentioning the order convention. I don't know why. It is not recognised or used by many people. It does appear to be widely accepted in the States, however.
That is simply not true. The order convention IS recognised and IS used, or SHOULD be used, by everyone. It is not peculiar to the States. Yes, that is what is being taught now, and has been taught for many, many years.

No there's not! Certainly not for those educated in mathematics. There may "appear" to be conflicting rules and conventions to non-mathematicians, but that's based on misunderstandings or "missed" understandings in the first place. That's not the fault of mathematics or mathematicians.
My niece has just finished school. She was not taught about PEMBAS, Order of Operation or anything else like that. My point is that there are indeed conflicts. You can't say, 'no they're not' and then in the next breath, 'not to mathematicians. Maths is for everybody. Maybe PEMBAS comes up in A level maths or university, I don't know but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it is a minority that use PEMBAS.

That is simply not true. The order convention IS recognised and IS used, or SHOULD be used, by everyone. It is not peculiar to the States. Yes, that is what is being taught now, and has been taught for many, many years.
It is true. Maybe I should have put a comma in there - it is not recognised or used, by many people. I didn't say it was peculiar to the States, though I haven't found anyone outside the US yet, who knows about order of operation.

Last edited:
I have family in Australia. Let's see what they say. And what level of maths did you learn up to?
My cousin, in Australia, knows about order of operations but he can't remember at what level of education he learnt it. I have spoken to family in Italy and Germany and a whole bunch of people in the UK and not one knows about this system.

I was taught in "British" system during grade school (in India) - about 60+ years ago.

I was taught "BODMAS" rule then. It served me well through my Ph.D. program in Mechanics and in my professional life.

One disappointing thing I observe about internet - it stirs up controversies where there should be "no controversy" (accepted definitions or conventions). Soon, I expect, there would be controversy about Hilbert's preliminary axioms. Soon we will accept non-existence of proof as
proof of non-existence.

Giorgiopin, just google "maths syllabus in the UK". It is taught in Grade 6 (upper key stage 2). The syllabus makes direct reference to the order of operations in black and white.
In answer to your question, I have a graduate degee with a double major in mathematics and a post-grad degree in mathematics education, together with almost 40 years of teaching experience. I have taught the order convention many, many times, in Year 7 and 8 here.

Last edited: