Business and Finance

joannamartinez

You can buy three 12-oz cans of peanuts for $3 or one large can containing 2 lb 8 oz for the same price. Which is the beter buy? I came up with the 2 lb 8 oz can because it equals to 40 ozs. which is more than then the the other three cans that equal 36 ozs. Is this correct? Please advise. Thank you.

?

Yes, your reasoning is good.

Another way is to compare unit prices.

The unit price (for ounces) is the amount of money that customers pay for each ounce of nuts.

"Price per ounce" is: dollars divided by ounces

3/40 = 0.075

3/36 = 0.8333

The nuts in the 2.5-pound container cost seven and one-half cents per ounce.

The nuts in the three-pack cost eight and one-third cents per ounce.

This shows that customers pay more when purchasing the three-pack.

?

Lines and angles

I need help pelase. If the triangle is an isosceles triangle I need to find m?D and m?F. On the triangle DE is 15, EF is 15 and the point of E is 72 degrees. Please advise. Thank you.

?

joannamartinez said:
the point of E is 72 degrees

It is not the point that measures 72 degrees.

Here is the proper terminology:

"The angle at vertex E measures 72 degrees"

Have you learned yet that, in a triangle, each interior angle is "opposite" to one of the sides?

(It's also standard to refer to angles using the same names as the vertex points.)

In other words:

Angle E is opposite side DF

Angle D is opposite side EF

Angle F is opposite side DE

Draw a picture, to help you "see" this!

Here's a fact: If two sides of a triangle have the same length, their opposite angles must also be equal in measure.

Memorize this fact.

You should also memorize the definition of "iscosceles triangle". It's a triangle that has two sides of equal length.

Therefore, all iscosceles triangles have not only two equal sides, but two equal angles, as well! Specifically, the two angles opposite to the two equal sides are themselves equal angles.

We're told that the lengths of sides DE and EF are equal. This tells us that the measures of their opposite angles are equal.

Another very important fact for you to memorize is that the measures of all three interior angles must add up to 180 degrees, in any triangle.

Memorize this very important fact!

In other words, D + E + F = 180 degrees

Now you have all of the information that you need, to calculate the measure of angles D and F, in this exercise.

What do you say?

PS: In the future, please start a new topic for each exercise. 8-)

?

I am sorry that I did not start another topic. i apologize. I will try to solev but these problems are not easy for me. If each triabgle =180 then the answer I cam up with for both d & f is 54. Is this correct? I subtracted 180-72-108 divided by 2-54. Please advise. Thank you.

?

joannamartinez said:
the answer I cam up with for both d & f is 54. Is this correct? If you mean "54 degrees", then YES!

I subtracted 180-72-108 divided by 2-54

This way of typing math is not very clear.

It looks like it could mean [180 minus 72 minus 108] ALL OVER [2 minus 54].

Of course, we understand your meaning by context, but please try to type each math "step" on its own line, so that your meaning is clear to others.

You should also show anything that you already know or tried, in your first post for an exercise.

Thank you. 8-)

?
MY EDIT: Removed improper contraction