conversion metric to english

fun9282

My son did a problem, and we looked in is math book and science book (since it was a science problem) and then on-line and he got it wrong all the teacher did is check it wrong. I had him go in to talk with her she explained it to him in inches and feet. He understands that but he still can not get the problem. Can anyone help me explain it to him. The question was .06 fl. qt. to ? ml. His science book said 1L = 1.057 fl. qt 1 fl qt = .946l. He took .06 x 1.057 = .63 ml this is wrong according to the teacher i told him it has something to do that L to ml. PLEASE HELP

fun9282 said:
1L = 1.057 fl. qt 1 fl qt = .946l This typing is confusing to read, for me.

Hi dad !

I prefer each equation on its own line. That's clear.

I also do not switch back and forth between using upper case (or not) and using periods (or not).

(NOTE: I'm using the symbol q to represent the unit "US liquid quarts" and the symbol L to represent the unit "liters".)

1 L = 1.057 q

1 q = 0.946 L

To convert US liquid quarts to liters, we divide the quarts by 1.057.

To convert liters to US liquid quarts, we divide the liters by 0.946.

Of course, your son already knows how to convert liters to milliliters, yes?

If more clarification is needed, let me know, and I will write out the entire conversion for both of you.

It would help me, if your son could explain how converting units was taught, in his class. Are they writing proportions? Are they using conversion factors?

Cheers ~ Mark 8-)