Game algorithm

mna

Hi, I'm a Danish game developer who have developed a game called "Flag Frenzy" (very similar to the game "Spot It").
The game has 49 cards, each with 8 flags on them, and there are 56 different flags. Whenever you take 2 cards, there will always be exactly one matching flag on those cards. To make this game I made an algorithm in a spread sheet that lists all the combinations.

Now my publisher has asked me for an updated version that uses 60 flags instead. I cannot "squeeze" 4 more flags into the existing algorithm so I need to start over. Logically thinking (since I exhausted the possible combinations in my original game) I don't think it is possible to make a solution that uses 60 flags with 8 flags on each card where there must always be exactly one match.

I can make an algorithm as long as "the number of flags per card minus 1" is a prime number (6 flags/card => 25 cards and 30 flags; 8 flags/card => 49 cards and 56 flags, 12 flags/card => 121 cards and 132 flags etc).
Theoretically, I think it should be possible to make a combination with 9 flags/card (giving 64 cards and 72 flags) but I can't figure it out... :-(

I've spent about 40 hours now struggling with a manual spread sheet solution but I'm about to give up now...

Can anyone help me make either
a) an algorithm that gives 64 cards with 9 flags on each (and total of 60 or 72 flags), or
b) an algorithm that gives 25 cards with 8 flags on each (and a total of 60 flags)

/Martin

Hi, I'm a Danish game developer who have developed a game called "Flag Frenzy" (very similar to the game "Spot It").
The game has 49 cards, each with 8 flags on them, and there are 56 different flags. Whenever you take 2 cards, there will always be exactly one matching flag on those cards. To make this game I made an algorithm in a spread sheet that lists all the combinations.

Now my publisher has asked me for an updated version that uses 60 flags instead. I cannot "squeeze" 4 more flags into the existing algorithm so I need to start over. Logically thinking (since I exhausted the possible combinations in my original game) I don't think it is possible to make a solution that uses 60 flags with 8 flags on each card where there must always be exactly one match.

I can make an algorithm as long as "the number of flags per card minus 1" is a prime number (6 flags/card => 25 cards and 30 flags; 8 flags/card => 49 cards and 56 flags, 12 flags/card => 121 cards and 132 flags etc).
Theoretically, I think it should be possible to make a combination with 9 flags/card (giving 64 cards and 72 flags) but I can't figure it out... :-(

I've spent about 40 hours now struggling with a manual spread sheet solution but I'm about to give up now...

Can anyone help me make either
a) an algorithm that gives 64 cards with 9 flags on each (and total of 60 or 72 flags), or
b) an algorithm that gives 25 cards with 8 flags on each (and a total of 60 flags)

/Martin

Do I get a portion of your future earnings?