6th grade Pattern Word Problem

azam918

Hello,
I understand that pattern I think but what is the easiest way to get the answer.
Question:
1) Denise weighed her newborn pig every other day. The first day, the pig weighed 35lb. At the next weighings, the pig weighed 38, 41, 44, and 47lb. At this rate of gain, after how many more days will the pig weigh more than to 100lbs?

2) Suspecting that someone might be stealing from the chicken coop, Sheldon counted eggs every morning. The first day, he counted 21; thereafter the counts were 18, 20, 17, 19, 16, 18, 15, and 17. At this rate, how many eggs will Sheldon find on the 38th day?

Please help.

How are the given numbers changing? Are they getting bigger or smaller? By how much are they changing? These are the sorts of questions that you need to consider, when looking for a pattern in a sequence of numbers.

Also, be sure that you read THIS PAGE before posting again. Cheers :cool:

Last edited:
How are the given numbers changing? Are they getting bigger or smaller? By how much are they changing? These are the sorts of questions that you need to consider, when looking for a pattern in a sequence of numbers.

Also, be sure that you read THIS PAGE before posting again. Cheers :cool:

The question is word for word. I'm posting this question for my nephew. I understand the pattern but not how to get the answer the easiest way. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks for any help.

The question is word for word. I'm posting this question for my nephew. I understand the pattern but not how to get the answer the easiest way. Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks for any help.
There is no magic formula for recognizing a pattern in a sequence of numbers. You experiment with them until something jumps out at you.

I understand the pattern but not how to get the answer the easiest way.

Please explain the pattern, as you understand it to be, and we can go from there.

Did you read the posting guidelines? :???:

Hello,
I understand that pattern I think but what is the easiest way to get the answer.
Question:
1) Denise weighed her newborn pig every other day. The first day, the pig weighed 35lb. At the next weighings, the pig weighed 38, 41, 44, and 47lb. At this rate of gain, after how many more days will the pig weigh more than to 100lbs?

2) Suspecting that someone might be stealing from the chicken coop, Sheldon counted eggs every morning. The first day, he counted 21; thereafter the counts were 18, 20, 17, 19, 16, 18, 15, and 17. At this rate, how many eggs will Sheldon find on the 38th day?

Please help.
1) Question 1 uses a add 3 pattern.
2) Question 2 uses a subtract 3 add 2 pattern.
but I don't understand how to get the answer the easiest way.

I don't understand how to get the answer the easiest way.

Well, did you get an answer using any method that you feel is not the easiest way?

That is, why does it need to be done the easiest way? Who defines what the easiest way is?

I think that simple arithmetic is easy enough.

The questions asks how many days to go from 35 to 101 when adding 3 every two days.

What is the difference between 101 and 35? In other words, how much needs to be added to 35 to get 101?

Can you divide that amount by 3? That will give you the number of 3-lb increases needed to raise 35 to 101.

Double this number because each 3-lb increase takes 2 days.

What do you get?

mmm4444bot has told you how to handle this.

2) Question 2 uses a subtract 3 add 2 pattern.
but I don't understand how to get the answer the easiest way.
For (2), for every two days, there is net loss of one egg. The 38th day is 37 days after the first. That is an odd number so lets drop back one day. The 37th day is 36 days after the first. That is 36/2= 18 "two-days" so the number of eggs is 18 less than the original 21 eggs. And then the next day it drops another 3 eggs.