Basic Algebra is rusty-need help

indianaelena

I'm trying to review for my upcoming TEAS test, so I'll probably be on here a lot the next few days. I'm going over some practice basic algebra questions. I'm having problems with this one.. If Lynn can type a page in p minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes? The answers they give are...
A. 5/p
B. p - 5
C. p + 5
D. p/5
E. 1- p + 5
Their answer and explanation is..
A: The following proportion may be written: 1/p=x/5. Solving for the variable, x, gives xp = 5, where x=5/p. So, Lynn can type 5/p pages, in 5 minutes.
I can't figure out how they got from
1/p=x/5 to xp = 5?

Try several examples that you know

"If Lynn can type a page in p minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes? The answers they give are..."

1) If Lynn can type a page in 10 minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes, Answer 1/2

2) If Lynn can type a page in 15 minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes, Answer 1/3

3) If Lynn can type a page in 20 minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes, Answer 1/4

I'm trying to review for my upcoming TEAS test, so I'll probably be on here a lot the next few days. I'm going over some practice basic algebra questions. I'm having problems with this one.. If Lynn can type a page in p minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes? The answers they give are...
A. 5/p
B. p - 5
C. p + 5
D. p/5
E. 1- p + 5
Their answer and explanation is..
A: The following proportion may be written: 1/p=x/5. Solving for the variable, x, gives xp = 5, where x=5/p. So, Lynn can type 5/p pages, in 5 minutes.
I can't figure out how they got from
1/p=x/5 to xp = 5?

Mathematically,

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{p} \ = \ \frac{x}{5}\)

Now calculate the lowest common multiple of the denominators (LCD)

In this case that would be 5 * p

Multiply both sides by the LCD

\(\displaystyle \frac{1\ * \ 5 \ * \ p}{p} \ = \ \frac{x\ * \ 5 \ * \ p}{5}\)(you can multiply both sides of an equation by the same number - without affecting the equality)

On the left-hand side p (in the numerator) and p (in the denominator) cancels out and 5 and 5 cancels out on the right-hand-side - leaving you with

5 = x * p

Last edited by a moderator: