Proof of parabola equation

Nazariy

Hello!

I have a question regarding a parabola.

Suppose we construct a parabola, so that our vertex is at the origin of a coordinate plane and its directrix line is parallel to x-axis, also suppose our focus point has coordinates (0,p) and a point on the parabola P(x,y). How can we show that the equation of parabola is x^2=4py ?

Suppose we construct a parabola, so that our vertex is at the origin of a coordinate plane and its directrix line is parallel to x-axis, also suppose our focus point has coordinates (0,p) and a point on the parabola P(x,y). How can we show that the equation of parabola is x^2=4py ?

By definition the parabola is set of points equally distance from its directrix and its focus.

Thus if the directrix is \(\displaystyle y=-p\) then \(\displaystyle \sqrt{(y+p)^2}=\sqrt{x^2+(y-p)^2}\). Square both sides.

By definition the parabola is set of points equally distance from its directrix and its focus.

Thus if the directrix is \(\displaystyle y=-p\) then \(\displaystyle \sqrt{(y+p)^2}=\sqrt{x^2+(y-p)^2}\). Square both sides.

Was about to write that my feeling of utter awe has been swiftly replaced by me feeling silly when I did not get the above, but no I found my mistake.... swapped coordinates for F, used (p,0) not (0,p). Now I get the same result. Ahhh this is beautiful!! Thank you!!!!

Last edited: