Response to pka

Otis

Elite Member
Note to readers of this thread: use the pointer (in the quote below), if you need context.

May I respectfully ask how you would know? After all, you did quote from a textbook not widely respected.

Not respected by whom? :-?

Pearson Prentice Hall is a world-leader in mathematics publishing.

From editor's notes: Bob Blitzer is a native of Manhattan and received a Bachelor of Arts degree with dual majors in mathematics and psychology (minor: English literature) from the City College of New York. His unusual combination of academic interests led him toward a Master of Arts in mathematics from the University of Miami and a doctorate in behavioral sciences from Nova University. Bob’s love for teaching mathematics was nourished for nearly 30 years at Miami Dade College, where he received numerous teaching awards, including Innovator of the Year from the League for Innovations in the Community College and an endowed chair based on excellence in the classroom. In addition to his Developmental Algebra Series, Bob has written textbooks covering college algebra, algebra and trigonometry, precalculus, and liberal arts mathematics, all published by Pearson Education. When not secluded in his Northern California writer’s cabin, Bob can be found hiking the beaches and trails of Point Reyes National Seashore, and tending to the chores required by his beloved entourage of horses, chickens, and irritable roosters.

As to my statement concerning your inappropriateness, I did not quote from any text, pka; that statement represents my own words. My point comes from experience. I cannot remember seeing or hearing any beginning-algebra lesson introduce equations in one (or two) unknowns discuss "two dimensional linear space".

I believe that tutors ought to keep things simpler, for the beginning students. :cool:

ax + b = c

I have seen this equation form called a linear equation in one variable.

I have seen it called a linear two-step equation.

I have seen it called an equation with one unknown.

At the introductory level, does the name make so much difference? Authors/instructors need to start somewhere!