Determining number of possible points on a test given the mean and standard deviation

cecooper2

Hello, everyone. I am in a descriptive statistics class and was given an assignment that included the mean scores for two tests, the standard deviations, and the number of participants taking each test. One of the questions for the assignment was: Which test probably had the most possible points, and how do you know? What other information would have been helpful to determine the answer to this question?

I am no mathematician, but to me, it doesn't appear possible to determine the number of points possble based the mean without knowing how many questions were on each test. Am I thinking correctly? :(

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Hello, everyone. I am in a descriptive statistics class and was given an assignment that included the mean scores for two tests, the standard deviations, and the number of participants taking each test. One of the questions for the assignment was:

Which test probably had the most possible points, and how do you know? What other information would have been helpful to determine the answer to this question?

I am no mathematician, but to me, it doesn't appear possible to determine the number of points possble based the mean without knowing how many questions were on each test. Am I thinking correctly?
How would the number of questions on each test influence the number of final scores for the tests? That is, what is your basis for concluding that the lengths of the two tests (assuming they were even different) affected the number of people taking each test?

Also, what other information was provided regarding the tests? What was the rest of the exercise?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)