Thread: Growth and Decay: The voltage (vc) across a charging capacitor at time T is given by

Growth and Decay: The voltage (vc) across a charging capacitor at time T is given by

Hi,

I could really use some help. I have hit a wall with my studies.

3. The voltage (vc) across a charging capacitor at time T is given by:

Vc = Vs [ 1 - e^{ -T/(CR)}]

Where the supply voltage is Vs = 10v, the capacitance C = 10μF and resistance R = 20KΩ. Determine:

3.1. The time for the voltage to reach 5v

3.2. The voltage at 1ms after charging starts

3.3. The rate of voltage change at 1ms after charging starts

3.4. Show that the rate of voltage change when the capacitor is discharging from the supply voltage value will be the same as when charging from the same value at an any given time

Any help you could provide would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks

Daz
    Last edited by Subhotosh Khan; 07-23-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Corrected governing equation

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Hi,

I could really use some help. I have hit a wall with my studies.

Where the supply voltage is Vs = 10v, the capacitance C = 10μF and resistance R = 20KΩ. Determine:

3.4. Show that the rate of voltage change when the capacitor is discharging from the supply voltage value will be the same as when charging from the same value at an any given time

Any help you could provide would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks

Daz
    You are given an equation - and you need to evaluate a parameter when the value of other parameters are given.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33
    “... mathematics is only the art of saying the same thing in different words” - B. Russell

As I explained in my other question. I'm stuck, I have tried Kahn academy but I'm getting stuck in my own work. I have cut outs from a John bird book. But I'm missing stuff. If you could help point me in the right direction I will work on it and complete it. I'm purely using this forum for help.

thank you

Cool

They gave you a formula with variables Vc, Vs, T, C, and R. They have given you values for Vc, Vs, C, and R. They have asked you to find the value of T.

You have posted this question to "Calculus", but I see nothing there other than simple ("Beginning") algebra; namely; they've asked you to evaluate a given equation for given values of the given variables. (here) So try using what you learned back in algebra: plug the given numbers in for the given variables in the given equation, and solve for the one value that's left.

Unless I'm missing something, this time they gave you Vs, T, C, and R, and are asking you for Vs. So "plug-n-chug"!

How does the rate of change in f(t) relate to the derivative, with respect to time t, of f(t)? How might one apply that knowledge to this question? (Or are you not familiar with derivatives?)

Please be complete. Thank you!

For 3.1 i have an answer of 13.86 seconds

For 3.2 i have an answer of 9.995

For 3.3 i have an answer of 0.0005 V/s

However i am struggling with the rate of change question could you provide more guidance? I have forgotten most of my maths information from college and trying my best to piece this all together for an Open Universtity course.

Thanks