Problem of my assignment: The problem: The Blocks A and B of masses mA=2mB are....

Maksmaksmaks

Hello everyone. I came here for your help. I am very tired trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Please help me.

The problem: The Blocks A and B of masses mA=2mB are on frictionless planes. Find the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of each block.
Answer: aA=0.54m/s2down and aB=0.54m/s2up

Please help me and provide solution. So far I managed to get their masses.
W(weight) = m(mass)g(gravity)
mB = 2mg
= 2 (9.8 m/s2)
= 19.6 m/s2

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I came here for your help. I am very tired trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Please help me.

The problem: The Blocks A and B of masses mA=2mB are on frictionless planes. Find the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of each block.
Answer: aA=0.54m/s2down and aB=0.54m/s2

mB = 2mg ............................................How did you get that?!!

= 2 (9.8 m/s2)
= 19.6 m/s2

Please, I really need answers. A lot of my classmate is figuring out how to solve this particular problem and still fails. That is why I came here for your advice. Even if you guys will not post the answer directly, give me some insight or sample problem with solution for me to get an idea.

Answer: aA=0.54m/s2down and aB=0.54m/s2up
Why does "the answer" (which I'm assuming means "the correct answer, according to the back of the book") say "up" and "down"? Shouldn't each of the masses be sliding down their respective planes?

mB = 2mg
= 2 (9.8 m/s2)
= 19.6 m/s2
On what logical basis did you conclude that the mass of Block B must be twice the acceleration due to gravity? (Note: Acceleration is NOT equal to mass!)

Is there a graphic or a listing of further information for these masses, such as the angles of their planes?

Thank you! ;)

Why does "the answer" (which I'm assuming means "the correct answer, according to the back of the book") say "up" and "down"? Shouldn't each of the masses be sliding down their respective planes?

I am not entirely sure. That is why I am getting confused why it has two answer with different directions.

On what logical basis did you conclude that the mass of Block B must be twice the acceleration due to gravity? (Note: Acceleration is NOT equal to mass!)

Is there a graphic or a listing of further information for these masses, such as the angles of their planes?

Thank you! ;)

This was just my attempt to solve this problem and I was not sure enough if it was right.

The problem has not provided any given variables, only the mA=2mB and the correct answers.

I have found a somewhat similar problem (but the not the same) with a probably same figure.

Screenshot_2016-09-15-07-03-08.jpgScreenshot_2016-09-15-07-03-08.jpg

I have found a somewhat similar problem (but the not the same) with a probably same figure.

attachment.php
attachment.php
I'm sorry, but the images are way too small to be read.

What do you mean by "a probably same figure"? Why not provide the actual image from the exercise?

I'm sorry, but the images are way too small to be read.

What do you mean by "a probably same figure"? Why not provide the actual image from the exercise?

I am very sorry. I do not have the actual photo when I posted this. Here it is now,

< link to objectionable page removed >

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry. I do not have the actual photo when I posted this. Here it is now,

<link removed>
I have retrieved your remote image, rotated it, and clarified it:

attachment.php

The image contains crucial information, which explains why the "directions" are "up" and "down" (rather than angles of some sort): the masses are attached. The planes are clearly not at the same angle; I could not discern any angle measures in the graphic.

Do you see that these masses are attached to each other, so that they are pulling on each other?

Attachments

• masses.jpg
    masses.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
I have retrieved your remote image, rotated it, and clarified it:

attachment.php

The image contains crucial information, which explains why the "directions" are "up" and "down" (rather than angles of some sort): the masses are attached. The planes are clearly not at the same angle; I could not discern any angle measures in the graphic.

Do you see that these masses are attached to each other, so that they are pulling on each other?

Okay, our proffesor had apologized to us. The xerox copy he gave to us was not clear enough for that within the triangular plane, there was some givens and the height of the plane and was not visible enough in the xerox copy. He then provided us the original copy and we was able to solve it and pass our test papers. Sorry for the inconvenience I have made.

Can you tell me what is the reference? I do have the same problem with you but my prof didn't draw any figures, so I cant get the rifht answer

Can you tell me what is the reference? I do have the same problem with you but my prof didn't draw any figures …
Maksmaksmaks said the original image came from a professor.

In Maksmaksmaks's profile, you can notice that they haven't logged into this site for almost two years. I doubt they will see your question. Maksmaksmaks may not even be in school, anymore. :cool: