How much does it cost to run a car?

icehowl113

Hi, I need some math help here!

As the title says: How much does it cost to run a car?

[h=1]Car information:
Cost of the car: $25000
Fuel per litre: 1.5
Km/litre: 20
Service interval: 20000
Cost to service: $100
For 100,000km (the distance the car would travel)
Could you provide me the formula to solve this question please.
Notes that the numbers I provided are random. You can use any numbers as you want.
Thank you
[/h]

Hi, I need some math help here!

As the title says: How much does it cost to run a car?

Car information:
Cost of the car: $25000
Fuel per litre: 1.5
Km/litre: 20
Service interval: 20000
Cost to service: $100
For 100,000km (the distance the car would travel)
Could you provide me the formula to solve this question please.
Notes that the numbers I provided are random. You can use any numbers as you want.
Thank you
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

I am stuck at the beginning. I need to work out a formula to find out the cost for running the car. All I know is to calculate the other costings like fuel cost, then add it up with the cost of the car. I am not sure what are the other costs I have to find out.

Although there might be additional factors to consider when determining how much a car costs over its lifetime, it appears this problem only wants you to consider the things listed. I figure if they wanted you to consider more factors, they'd give you information about those factors. Thus, my process to solving the problem would be something like this:

What's the initial cost of buying the car? How much does it cost to buy 1 litre of gas? How many km can you get from that 1 litre? So how much does the gas cost per km you drive? Then how many miles is the lifetime of the car? How much money total will you spend on gas? How often (how many km driven) do you need to have the car serviced? How much does it cost to have the car serviced? How many miles is the lifetime of the car? How many times during the car's lifetime will it need to be serviced? How much money total will you spend on servicing the car? Finally, how much money total will you spend to run the car over its lifetime?