How can I describe this sequence? 21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37,...

jessicalorynn

Hi guys,

So I am not a mathematician but reaaally need to solve this sequence difference for my linguistics/ semantics class.
If I have a sequence such as {21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, ...} in which the difference is always 1, 3, 1, 3, ... how could I describe this? I've been reading about the nth term and quadratic nth terms but nothing seems to fit due to the odd sequence! :confused:
I would really appreciate some help on this :rolleyes:

Jess

... need to solve this sequence difference for my linguistics/ semantics class.

{21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, ...} in which the difference is always 1, 3, 1, 3, ... how could I describe this?

Were you told that you need to report a mathematical formula, to generate that sequence, or can you describe an algorithm using English statements instead?

Look at the numbers to which 1 is added, to generate the next number. Do they share something in common?

Look at the numbers to which 3 is added, to generate the next number. Do they share something in common?

Using this information, you could write instructions (i.e., an algorithm or "recipe") that others could follow to generate the sequence.

Hi guys,

So I am not a mathematician but reaaally need to solve this sequence difference for my linguistics/ semantics class.
If I have a sequence such as {21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, ...} in which the difference is always 1, 3, 1, 3, ... how could I describe this? I've been reading about the nth term and quadratic nth terms but nothing seems to fit due to the odd sequence!

There are many possible correct answers. Here are some of them.