Equation of a quadratic function from graph

syncmaster913n

attachment.php

So there's this question in this workbook I'm going through, as seen in the picture above. (The solution is the bolded part.)

Shouldn't the value for k = -5 instead of 5? What I mean is, the graph is written in the forum y + a(x-h)^2 + k, so the actual vertex form should be:

y = -a(x-h)^2 - k

Shouldn't therefore k in the form written in the question be equal to -5 so that it actually becomes the positive 5 we are after once the equation is switched into proper vertex form?

Please let me know what I'm missing, thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
attachment.php

So there's this question in this workbook I'm going through, as seen in the picture above. (The solution is the bolded part.)

Shouldn't the value for k = -5 instead of 5? What I mean is, the graph is written in the forum y + a(x-h)^2 + k, so the actual vertex form should be:

y = -a(x-h)^2 - k

Shouldn't therefore k in the form written in the question be equal to -5 so that it actually becomes the positive 5 we are after once the equation is switched into proper vertex form?

Please let me know what I'm missing, thank you.

The question is either quoted incorrectly - or it is incorrect.

"y + a(x-h)^2 + k" is not an equation, because it does have an "equal to" (=) sign.

Could the equation have been:

y = a(x-h)^2 + k

(note the "=" sign following 'y')

Thank you. I just assumed they meant "is equal to zero". The equation as you see it is a screenshot from the e-book, so this is how it is presented. I figured something must be wrong somewhere but at this stage of my math education I'd much rather assume I'm the one who's wrong, rather than the book, until proven otherwise.