A computer chip manufacture produces two types of chips....

vanbeersj

A computer chip manufacture produces two types of chips. In testing a total of 6100 chips of both types, 0.50% of one type and 0.80% of the other type were defective. if a total of 38 defective chips were found how many of each type were tested?

I know I need to make an equation, I'm terrible at word problems and turning the words into the equations. So far I can only get x + y = 38 and I think a second one would be 0.5x + 0.8y = 6100, the results are not making any sense. Please help.

vanbeersj said:
A computer chip manufacture produces two types of chips. In testing a total of 6100 chips of both types, 0.50% of one type and 0.80% of the other type were defective. if a total of 38 defective chips were found how many of each type were tested?
You might want to start by defining variables. You need to find the numbers of two types of chips. So how many variables do you need? And how should the variable(s) be defined? (Write out your definitions explicitly.)

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Hints:
.50% means half a percent, so .005 must be used in calculations; same as using .12 for 12%.

x + y = 6100, NOT 38