a limit without using l'hospital rule: limit, x->3, of (log_3(x) - 1)/(x - 3)

canvas

[math]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{\log_3(x)-1}{x-3}\\\\\text{can someone give me a hint, how to calculate the limit without using l'Hospital rule - using this method it's easy, but without it...}[/math][math]\text{I don't need a solution, just a hint that will get me on the right track}[/math]

[math]\lim_{x\to 3}\frac{\log_3(x)-1}{x-3}\\\\\text{can someone give me a hint, how to calculate the limit without using l'Hospital rule - using this method it's easy, but without it...}[/math][math]\text{I don't need a solution, just a hint that will get me on the right track}[/math]
[math]\log_3x = \dfrac{\ln x}{\ln 3}[/math]
Try Taylor expansion for [imath]\ln(x)[/imath]

[math]\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{\log_3(x)-1}{x-3}\\\\\text{can someone give me a hint, how to calculate the limit without using l'Hospital rule - using this method it's easy, but without it...}[/math][math]\text{I don't need a solution, just a hint that will get me on the right track}[/math]
As there is no way to expand [imath]\log_b(x+h)[/imath] without a Taylor expansion, that's the only way you are going to be able to do this "by hand."

-Dan

It depends on what limits you have learned, that you can use for this. You've only said (or implied) what you are not allowed to use.

If you know that [imath]\lim_{u\to0}\frac{\ln(u+1)}{u}=1[/imath], you can use that. Have you?

Or you could derive this fact from the derivative of the natural log.

[math]\text{Calculate a limit without using l'Hopital's rule, so we can use derivatives.}\\\\\text{let}\,\,x=3^{y+1}\,\,\text{since}\,\,x\to3\,\,\text{then}\,\,y+1=1\,\,\Longleftrightarrow y=0\,\,\text{so we got}\\\\\lim_{x\to3}\frac{\log_3(x)-1}{x-3}=\lim_{y\to0}\frac{y+1-1}{3^{y+1}-3}=\lim_{y\to0}\frac{y}{3(3^y-1)}=\frac{1}{3}\lim_{y\to0}\left[\left(\frac{3^y-1}{y}\right)^{-1}\right]\stackrel{\red{**}}{=}\frac{1}{3\ln(3)}\\\\\red{**}\,\,\text{using the limit}\,\,\lim_{x\to0}\frac{a^x-1}{x}=\ln(a)\\\\\text{I think that I'm right. Thank to all of you guys, for your time and help!}[/math]