A Math Puzzle using Volumes and Digital Roots

droberts

The puzzle is contained within the image.

1. Find the volume (or area) of an object in cubits, feet, inches and yards.
2. Find the digital root of each volume.

What makes this is a puzzle, is what happens when you do those two things to the structures of the Bible, namely the Temples. Moses' Tabernacle, Solomon's Temple, and the New Jerusalem.

The puzzle is that I would like to better understand the relationships which make these coincidences possible.

For example, when we convert from cubits to inches, we multiply cubits by 18. This means that the digital roots for the inches measurements are all guaranteed to be 9, because any number multiplied by 18 is divisible by 9. So I've highlighted those digital roots in orange.

But from my understanding the digital roots of the cubic feet are not guaranteed to be 9, because dividing the inches dimensions by 12 means the feet dimensions are no longer guaranteed to be divisible by 9? But the digital root of the cubic feet is always 9.

I'm also confused about how to calculate the volume correctly when one or more of the dimensions is less than 1. I calculated the cubic yards both ways in the first two examples.

On the left are the temples and all of the calculations and coincidences. On the far right is the explanation for digital root, along with the equivalent of the digital root in Hebrew gematria, which is called "Mispar Katan Mispari" (integral reduced value).

I think it is important to note that there are multiple methods for finding the digital root, and I'd like to explain my favorite method.

The easiest method is to add subsets of digits together to sums of 9. If the number is 192837 we can add the 1 + 8 and the 2 + 7 and our reduced number is 9993. 0's are ignored entirely. If only 9's remain, 9 is the digital root. If another single digit remains, that is the digital root.

I've included a verse, Revelation 21:17, which is significant in this example because it is the only time we're given a single dimension for one of these structures, the width of the wall is 144 cubits. Rev 21: 16 also gives us a single number for the city, but tells us it is a perfect cube so we get all three dimensions still.

WholePicture2.3.png