A rectangle ABCD is inscribed in the area between the x-axis and the part of the graph of y = cos(4x) between its x-intercepts (see diagram).

NeedMathHelp12345

A rectangle ABCD is inscribed in the area between the x-axis and the part of the graph of y = cos(4x) between its x-intercepts (see diagram). (a) Determine the function that models the perimeter of ABCD as a function of x. (b) Determine the maximum perimeter of ABCD and the dimensions of this rectangle of maximum perimeter.

I don't even know where to start with this. Screenshot 2021-06-06 134442.png

A rectangle ABCD is inscribed in the area between the x-axis and the part of the graph of y = cos(4x) between its x-intercepts (see diagram). (a) Determine the function that models the perimeter of ABCD as a function of x. (b) Determine the maximum perimeter of ABCD and the dimensions of this rectangle of maximum perimeter.

I don't even know where to start with this. View attachment 27664
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

1623016015728.png

I don't even know where to start with this. View attachment 27664
Here's a place to start:

Suppose D is at x=X, and A is at x=-X. What are the coordinates of B and C? Then, write an expression for the perimeter of ABCD, as a function of X. (I wish they hadn't said "as a function of x", because x is not a fixed number in the picture.)

Do that, show us what you've done, and then think about part (b).

Look at this plot. Now consider only part of the perimeter of ABCD along the \(x-\)axis & in the first quadrant.
If \(D\) is \((t,0)\) then is that part of the perimeter \(2t+\cos(4t)~?\)
What is the whole perimeter of ABCD? How does one maximize its length?