A word problem with a quadratic equation

marywendy

Hi, the following problem is supposed to be easy, but I'm not able to solve it. None of the answers fits my solution of the quadratic, so I must be doing something wrong. Please help me. Here is the problem:

Mila studies plants that grow both above and below sea level. She expresses the debths and hights that a certain plant can grow with the equation x^2+16x+20=0 where x represents the number of feet above or below sea level. What are the depths that the plant can grow?
A. -2 ft; -14 ft
B. -2 ft
C. -8 ft
D. 8 ft; 2 ft

Thanks.

Hi, the following problem is supposed to be easy, but I'm not able to solve it. None of the answers fits my solution of the quadratic, so I must be doing something wrong. Please help me. Here is the problem:

Mila studies plants that grow both above and below sea level. She expresses the debths and hights that a certain plant can grow with the equation x^2+16x+20=0 where x represents the number of feet above or below sea level. What are the depths that the plant can grow?
A. -2 ft; -14 ft
B. -2 ft
C. -8 ft
D. 8 ft; 2 ft

Thanks.
What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting