acceleration: constant dec. to stop in 45 ft from 30 mph

kpx001

the state of illinois cycle rider safety program requires motorcycle riders to be able to brake from 30 mph (44ft/sec) to 0 in 45 ft. what constant deceleration does it take to do that?

this problem im clueless but heres what i tried.

since im breaking i would get a(t) = -30dt .
-30t + c = 44 ?
c= -22/15
s(t) = -15t^2 - (22/15)t + c
45 = -15(0)^2 - (22/15)(0) + c .

am i doing this right so far?

Re: acceleration word problem?

kpx001 said:
the state of illinois cycle rider safety program requires motorcycle riders to be able to brake from 30 mph (44ft/sec) to 0 in 45 ft. what constant deceleration does it take to do that?

this problem im clueless but heres what i tried.

since im breaking i would get a(t) = -30dt .<<< What is a(t)? 'a' generally represents (in these problems) 'acceleration.

-30t + c = 44 ? <<< How is that?

c= -22/15<<< How does this come from above?

s(t) = -15t^2 - (22/15)t + c <<< Where did this come from?

45 = -15(0)^2 - (22/15)(0) + c .

am i doing this right so far?

Let

t = time

a = acceleration

v = velocity

\(\displaystyle a = \frac{dv}{dt}\)

s = distance travelled

\(\displaystyle v = \frac{ds}{dt}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{dt} \, = \, -a\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{dv}{ds} \cdot \frac{ds}{dt}\, = \, -a\)

\(\displaystyle v \cdot \frac{dv}{ds}\, = \, -a\)

\(\displaystyle v \cdot dv\, = \, -a\cdot ds\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{v^2}{2}\, = \, -a\cdot s + C\)

v = 44 when s = 0

C = 978

\(\displaystyle a \, = \, \frac{978 \, - \, \frac{v^2}{2}}{s}\)

You know v and s at the stopping point - find 'a'.

Re: acceleration word problem?

No,no. You need contstant decelleration and you don't know what it is. You started off already knowing!

a(t) = x <== That's ft/sec^2

v(t) = x*t + v0 <== That's ft/sec

s(t) = ½x*t^2 + v0*t + h0 <== That's ft

Now, what do we know?

v0 = 44 ft/sec
h0 = 0 ft

s(t) = ½x*t^2 + 44*t

And there must be reasonable values for x and t0 such that s(t0) <= 45

This is where this problem get's a little tricky. We have to think about it a bit from here unless you ave left out some of the problem statement. Without a time period in which to stop, there could be a few problems.

1) Quite obviously, there are limitations on stopping. If you hit a brick wall, you would stop very quickly, and certainly within 45 feet. Normally, however, this is not considered a valid stopping method. So, infinite decelleration is out of the question.

2) Suppose we were riding straight up and we just let gravity do the decelleration? This makes x = -32 ft/sec^2 and produces a 45 ft stopping time of ... What? We never get to 45 ft!! Well, okay, 1 g might be too much stopping power.

3) In order to stop EXACTLY on 45 ft, one sets s(t0) = 45 ft and solves for t0. This gives a lovely quadrtic equation that is easily solves and contains the discriminant 1936+90x. Since this must be > 0, we see that x > -968/45 = -21.511 and leads to about 2.045 seconds.

4) Of course, anything greater than -21.511 will work, but, like I said in #1, some decellerations will throw you off the bike.