Adding waves of the same frequency! If I have v_1 = 3sin t and v_2 = 2cos t...

Vulcan

Can someone please clarify?

If I have v1 = 3sin t and v = 2cos t when adding them (v1 + v2) we will have sqrt(A2 + B2) sin(t - tan-1(B/A) = sqrt(13) sin(t-0.588)

is it true to say that if it was v2 + v1 we would have sqrt(B2 + A2) cos(t - tan-1(A/B) = sqrt(13) cos(t-0.983)

if it is correct, then I am struggling to get the solution of adding v1=2sin 3t and v2= 6cos3t which is given as sqrt40 cos(3t+5.961)

I can't find anywhere that explains when to use sin and when to use cos and how to change between them! It will ask to add the two waves in the form of Asin(t+⍺) sometimes and other times in the form Acos(t+⍺).

As always, any help offered is much appreciated

Last edited:
Can someone please clarify?

If I have v1 = 3sin t and v = 2cos t when adding them (v1 + v2) we will have sqrt(A2 + B2) sin(t - tan-1(B/A) = sqrt(13) sin(t-0.588)

is it true to say that if it was v2 + v1 we would have sqrt(B2 + A2) cos(t - tan-1(A/B) = sqrt(13) cos(t-0.983)

if it is correct, then I am struggling to get the solution of adding v1=2sin 3t and v2= 6cos3t which is given as sqrt40 cos(3t+5.961)

I can't find anywhere that explains when to use sin and when to use cos and how to change between them! It will ask to add the two waves in the form of Asin(t+⍺) sometimes and other times in the form Acos(t+⍺).

As always, any help offered is much appreciated

A*cos(t+a)=A*sin(t+b)

where

b = a + π/2