Adding x to y to get a new value

someone19

Hi All,

Let us assume that we have two points, A & B; whereas A (X=8, Y=2) and B(X=3, Y=4).

I am trying to figure out if I can get any useful new "single value" from point A's X & Y together to compare it with the "single value" from point B's X&Y. For instance to say 8+2=10, while 3+4=7 that means point A has more impact than point B.
Is there such a thing in math?

Thank you very much for your replies and time.

A common one is this

[MATH]\sqrt{8^2 + 2^2} = \sqrt{70}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{3^2 + 4^2} = \sqrt{25} = 5.[/MATH].

Because the square root of 70 is greater than 8 which is greater than 5, we can say that (8, 2) is greater in a sense than (3, 4). The technical sense being more distant from the origin.

Hi All,

Let us assume that we have two points, A & B; whereas A (X=8, Y=2) and B(X=3, Y=4).

I am trying to figure out if I can get any useful new "single value" from point A's X & Y together to compare it with the "single value" from point B's X&Y. For instance to say 8+2=10, while 3+4=7 that means point A has more impact than point B.
Is there such a thing in math?

Thank you very much for your replies and time.
However, if you calculate XY

Then B is numerically more powerful! (34 > 82)

It all depends on the intended "physics" behind such comparison!

A common one is this

[MATH]\sqrt{8^2 + 2^2} = \sqrt{70}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\sqrt{3^2 + 4^2} = \sqrt{25} = 5.[/MATH].

Because the square root of 70 is greater than 8 which is greater than 5, we can say that (8, 2) is greater in a sense than (3, 4). The technical sense being more distant from the origin.
8^2+2^2 = 68 not 70 .... a minor detail!