addition notions

shahar

(1) What is the common term of this notion (a+b) in the "vertical way":
a
+
b
(2) Is there a advantages in this that other haven't?

Last edited:
(1) What is the common term of this notion (a+b) in the "vertical way":
a
+
b
(2) Is there a advantages in this that other haven't?

Let's see if I can interpret what you are asking.

We can write an addition either horizontally, "2 + 3 = 5", or vertically,

.+.3
----

Are you asking whether one of these is better than the other? Or do you mean something entirely different? I don't know what you mean by "common term".

I would say that they are used for different purposes. The vertical form is used only for carrying out the addition on paper, which can be easier in that form by aligning digits. The horizontal form is used to communicate; it is a statement that 2 + 3 and 5 are equal. The vertical form isn't really an equation, and shouldn't be used as if it were.

Simply means the sheet of paper you're writing on has width +- 1/8 inches.

A normal sheet of paper = 8.5 by 11 inches.
8.5 / (1/8) = 68
68 * 11 = 748 inches = 62 1/3 feet.

So you're writing on a 1/8 in. by 62 1/3 ft. sheet of paper.

You're welcome.

Terminology

(*)Is the techinical name of this operation is only and only called vertical addition?
Is this techinical name also in use in kindergathen?

(*)Is there a math option that in this forum to write this thing so it look better?
If there is, it will be good.
And some instruction to do it will be helpful.
If there isn't this possibilty I think you may add it.

Last edited:
(*)Is the techinical name of this operation is only and only called vertical addition?
Going in reverse order.

I suspect most kindergarten teachers try to avoid technical vocabulary: most children at that age have relatively limited vocabularies.

"Columnar addition" is a term that I have seen and that is, in my opinion, more descriptive.

Last edited:

(*)Is there a math option that in this forum to write this thing so it look better?
If there is, it will be good.
And some instruction to do it will be helpful.
If there isn't this possibilty I think you may add it.

Ah! Now I see that when you asked "what is the common term of this notion", you meant "what is the most common name for this notation".

I can't say what is most common, or even what is most "technical"; but a search shows that "vertical addition" and "column addition" are common in English. Such a term is not so much a matter for mathematicians to discuss, as for educators, and they tend to be rather variable.

If you are asking how to format the column addition, did you look at how I did it? I used a fixed-width font with fill characters that I changed to white to make them invisible. (Spaces tend to disappear.) You could also use "CODE tags" (the # button in the editor), or use LaTeX if you want (though it's complicated to use for this particular purpose).

I notice that the UK document you referred to in connection with Number Bonds mentions vertical format on page 12: "Recording addition and subtraction in columns supports place value and prepares for formal written methods with larger numbers." I had looked for explicit reference to that in parallel American documents and didn't find it. But I think this shows the terminology you are asking about, as well as where it might be used (probably not in kindergarten).