Algebra Problem

Myst27

A car uses 1 liter of fuel to cover a distance of 12 km. This car's fuel tank has a capacity of 45 liters.

1. The car travels x kilometers. Write down an algebraic expression for the volume of fuel used by the car.
2. Write down an expression for the number of liters of fuel that will be left in the tank after the car has traveled x kilometers.
3. Write down a number sentence for when there is 10 liters of fuel left in the tank.

A car uses 1 liter of fuel to cover a distance of 12 km. This car's fuel tank has a capacity of 45 liters.

1. The car travels x kilometers. Write down an algebraic expression for the volume of fuel used by the car.
2. Write down an expression for the number of liters of fuel that will be left in the tank after the car has traveled x kilometers.
3. Write down a number sentence for when there is 10 liters of fuel left in the tank.
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

You seem to misunderstand: we are a help site rather than an answer site. Was the fifth point in READ BEFORE POSTING
not clear?

Thank you. This is for my daughter. She answered: 1. 1×x
2. 45-1×x
3. 45-1×35=10.

She is not sure if this is correct and I am trying to help. I was thinking at (1) it might also be x/12, but really not sure.

Apologies, was hoping someone can guide me. Haven't done this in a very long while and trying to help her. Thank you

They are leading you step by step through the work, doing just what I might have done to help you.

What you need to do is to give it a try and show us what you find, so we can see where you need help.

I will help you help your daughter, but just this time. In the future can she please ask her own questions so we can help her directly?

#1)Your petrol mileage is in the form km/L. In your case it is 12km/L or 1L for each 12km or (1/12)L for each km. Now multiply both quantities by x to get x km. We get (x/12)L for each x km

#2) I do not believe that you are NOT given the correct information to solve this. Why? You were never told how much petrol you started with! However, let us assume it was full.
So you start with 45 L and you use (x/12)L for each x km driven.
Hence if you drive x km (which uses (x/12) L of petrol) then you will have 45 - x/12 liters remaining
#3) Again this can only be answered if we know how much petrol was in the tank when we start out. Assume it was full.
Just solve 45 - x/12 = 10.