Algebra Question: Fractions

NickP89

Hi there,

Can you please answer these three questions for me and show how you got to the answer. I can't seem to wrap my head around answering this style of question.

12m
____ = 2

4m
____ = 1

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Can you please answer these three questions for me and show how you got to the answer. I can't seem to wrap my head around answering this style of question.

12m
____ = 2

4m
____ = 1

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
You need to know the following. If a/b=c then a=bc. For example, 10/5=2 so 10=2*5, 12/2=6 so 12=6*2.

If you have x/3=4 then x=4*3 or x=12.

Another rule you need is that if a*b=c then c/a=b. For example, 3*8=24 and 8=24/3. 9*7=63 and 7=63/9.

So if 4x/3=8 then 4x=8*3. That is 4x=24. You can at this point ask yourself 4 times what =24 and arrive at x=6 or you can use the rule above. 4x=24 so x=24/4, so x=6.

Use these two rules and these problems will all look the same!.

Thank you for your response. Would the following be correct then?

12m
___ = 2

2X2 = 4

12m = 4

m= 3

Would the following be correct then?

12m
___ = 2

2X2 = 4

12m = 4

m= 3
No. You are unaware of the basics.
Where did I go wrong then?
I think there may be some miscommunication here, both betwixt and within. Your "work" is extremely non-standard, but I think it may be because you're not sure how to format math in a text-only environment (rather than formatting as handwriting in a "drawing" environment such as pencil-and-paper). To learn how to format in a standard way, try here.

Using the method explained at the link, I think you meant the following:

(12m)/2 = 2

multiply through by 2:

2*(12m)/2 = 2*2

simplify:

12m = 4

divide through by 12:

(12m)/12 = 4/12

simplify:

However, how you got that m equalled 3, I can only guess. Perhaps you were misled by your attempt at text-only formatting, and didn't notice the error...?

What did you get when you checked your solution by plugging it back into the original equation? ;)

Math is totally not my thing, I get it lol. I just need to know how to get an answer.

Can you please break down the steps for me on how to answer that question.

...I think you meant the following:

(12m)/2 = 2

multiply through by 2:

2*(12m)/2 = 2*2

simplify:

12m = 4

divide through by 12:

(12m)/12 = 4/12

simplify:

I just need to know how to get an answer.
I'm sorry to hear that they didn't cover this in class. To learn the general process, try here.

Can you please break down the steps for me on how to answer that question.
I did everything but the last step. Where are you stuck in copying down what I gave you and then doing the last simplification?

Please be complete. Thank you! :wink:

Okay, thanks Denis. Just for clarification, do you mind showing me how to do one other similar question if you have a moment.

Hi Nick. Do you know how to reduce fractions?

12/2 reduces to 6/1

The fraction 12/2 appears in your first equation, so it can be reduced to simplify the equation.

12m/2 = 2

6m = 2

To solve this last equation for m, we want to get rid of the 6; so, divide both sides by 6.

6m/6 = 2/6

Do you see how the 6s cancel, on the left-hand side above, leaving m by itself? To finish, reduce the fraction on the right-hand side.

If you have forgotten how to reduce fractions, now is the time to review because that skill is important for learning algebra.

Google keywords 'simplifying fractions', and look at sites until you find one that makes sense for you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As others have shown, you can also begin a different way.

12m/2 = 2

Multiplying both sides of this equation by 2 is another way to get rid of the denominator. You got the following.

12m = 4

You wondered whether m=3. It's not because 12 times 3 is not 4.

In other words, the expression 12m means the number 12 times the number m; if m were to be 3, then the expression12m would represent 12 times 3, and that equals 36, not 4.

This sort of thinking is what we need to do, when wondering about our answers in algebra. We need to check results to see whether they make sense.

Cheers 8-)

PS: If you have forgotten your multiplication table, now is the time to review. It's difficult to simplify algebraic expressions, without knowing products/factors of smaller Whole numbers.

4m
__ = 1

I like my style of posting better...

That style only works with simple ratios; you won't be able to '"draw" more complicated algebraic fractions here.

I like the standard style better because it takes 1/10th the time to type.

4m/2 = 1

Can you reduce the fraction 4/2, in order to simplify this equation?

Cheers 8-)