Algebra word problem 2

soursnows

Suppose that 130 million people saw a particular 30-second commercial for a soft drink during a recent Super Bowl, and that the cost to produce and air the commercial was approximately $2.7 million.
a. If the soft drink manufacturer makes a profit of $0.11 (or 11 cents) on each can sold, what percent of the people watching the commercial would have to buy one can of the soft drink for the company to recover the cost of the commercial? (round your answer to the nearest tenth.)
b. If the soft drink manufacturer makes a profit of $1.18 on each 12-pack sold, what percent of the people watching the commercial would have to purchase one 12-pack of the soft drink for the company to recover the cost of the commercial?
c. If 12% of the people watching the commercial purchase a single can, and an additional 0.6% of the people watching the commercial purchase a 12-pack, will the company recover the cost of the commercial?

I think that I've figured out a & b
a) 25 million
b) 2 million

soursnows said:
what percent of the people watching …

a) 25 million

b) 2 million

These numbers are not percents; they are percentages.

You need to report the percents (rounded to one decimal place), not the resulting number of people (the percentages).

For part (c), what is 0.6% of 130 million people? That percentage generated $1.18 profit each.

What is 12% of 130 million people? That percentage generated $0.11 profit each.

Do these two amounts of generated profit add up to at least the cost of the ad ?

Please show your work, if you would like more help with this exercise.

Cheers 8-)

soursnows said:
Suppose that 130 million people saw a particular 30-second commercial for a soft drink during a recent Super Bowl, and that the cost to produce and air the commercial was approximately $2.7 million.
a. If the soft drink manufacturer makes a profit of $0.11 (or 11 cents) on each can sold, what percent of the people watching the commercial would have to buy one can of the soft drink for the company to recover the cost of the commercial? (round your answer to the nearest tenth.)
b. If the soft drink manufacturer makes a profit of $1.18 on each 12-pack sold, what percent of the people watching the commercial would have to purchase one 12-pack of the soft drink for the company to recover the cost of the commercial?
c. If 12% of the people watching the commercial purchase a single can, and an additional 0.6% of the people watching the commercial purchase a 12-pack, will the company recover the cost of the commercial?

a) 25 million <<< The answer needs to be in %
b) 2 million<<< The answer needs to be in %

Hints for (c)

12% of 130*10[sup:1044jjf8]6[/sup:1044jjf8] = ??

0.6% of 130*10[sup:1044jjf8]6[/sup:1044jjf8] = ??

How many people bought single can of Coke = ? .................. How much profit = ?

How many people bought 12-pack of Coke = ? .................. How much profit = ?

How much total profit = ?