algebra

pami

here's my Q.
A copier reduced a document to 78% of its original size. By what percent must the reduced copy be enlarged to be the same size as the original document? I need the answer and "prcess" or explination of HOW to find the answer in order to understand how to do the problem please.

pami said:
here's my Q.
A copier reduced a document to 78% of its original size. By what percent must the reduced copy be enlarged to be the same size as the original document? I need the answer and "prcess" or explination of HOW to find the answer in order to understand how to do the problem please.

Please show us your work, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you.

I truely have no idea! I have no work to show because I have no clue how to even begin this problem? If there is a problem with helping me"get" the answer could some one at least help me find a way to "set" it up so it can be worked? Maybe I'm over thinking this but even an "A" student in this math class can't figure it out, as well as the rest of us we are all stuck at the beginning. It is embarassing!!!!!! So, sorry! Thank you for any help at all:)

I'll do a different problem for you:

A copier reduced a document to 50% of its original size. By what percent must the reduced copy be enlarged to be the double the size as the original document?

Let the original size be = O

The reduced size = R = 50% of O = 0.5*O

The enlarged size = E = double the original = 2*O

We want to know, what is E/R

E/R = (2*O)/(0.5 * O) = 2/0.5 = 4 = 400%

So the reduced copy must be enlarged 400% to get double the original size.

I really appreciate your help, but I am still unable to convert this formula to the actual problem I am doing. I guess you can only take my word for it but I can assure you this problem is not a test question or even a home work problem (per say). What I mean is, it is a "discussion" question for our next class meeting. If you are still uncomfortable helping me with this can you just apply different #'s to my actual example? So that I would still personally need to work the problem out to hget th right answer? I really would like help and mean you no (or anyone else) any disrespect, I am just truly that bad at math. Even if given the actual formula I would still have to "work" the problem to understand it. Thank you so much for your time!!! :) Any additional help will be grately appreciated. Pami

pami said:
...can you just apply different #'s to my actual example?
Um... Isn't that what he's already done...? :oops:

Eliz.

Not sure of your tone? Some people, a proven statistic is most people, have a lot of difficulty in mathematics. I am one of those people. I am a streight "A" student with the exception of math. You are correct to a degree...yes he used different #'s, but the person volunteering his time to help me, also changed the %'s as well which is a little confusing for me-clearly not for you but if I were you I probably wouldn't be asking the question and would have no difficulty in math. :( unfortunate for me. The question is a reduced doc. to 78% of original size and by what % would the doc have to be increased to get back to the orig size etc. I am quite confused enough as it is, so adding a 50% increase to double the size only adds more confusion and not clarity. I feel stupid enough as it is thank you so if one can not or chooses not to help please don't say anything at all. If at all possible, just put yourself in my shoes and think of something that makes no sense to you but perfect sense to some one else and then they try to explain it to you in a foriegn laguage. That is how I fell about math. I am very clear it is my problem and not the problem of whom ever is trying to help me, I just lack that much understanding. In a class of 34 no has yet to get the answer, so I know I am in good company. (not alone) Thank you to anyone who may be able to help or at least has tried to help me. Very sorry I have no skills in this area.

Are you saying -

You fully understand the steps that I followed in the problem I have solved?

If not - where excatly did I lose you?

If yes - then you cannot "do the translation" - from the "made-up problem" to your assigned problem.

If above is the problem - instead of trying to do the translation overall - try following line by line - working with the information in you rassigned problem.

Tell us where "exactly" you are stuck......

You are so sweet to try and help me again! I think I've finally got it thanks to you. In my last post I was very frustrated, not with you of course, but I thought the person who left the "embarassed" face on a post to me with out any effort to be helpful was pretty rude and inconsiderate. Maybe they should read the guide lines again? Thank you for sticking with me and writing again! :) With some help I was able to convert your explination into a workable problem allowing me to solve it. 28.2 or 28%. Thank you so much for your time, effort, and not giving up on me!!!!!

When something is enlarged - the answer is generally more than 100%.

So according to my definitions, your answer should be 128%.

But then different textbooks and classes follow different conventions. So stick to the definition provided by the textbook/instructor.

Surely, I am not splitting hairs with you, and I will go by my text book just as you advise but if a document is reduced to 78% and we are trying to find 100% of some thing reduced to 78% how could it be more than 100%?. My text book has the anwer to this problem in it, but if I don't know how to work it or explain it the answer does me no good. I have a formula that looks some thing like this but it is still confusing to me. And really doesn't even seem to add up? (this was how it was ultimately explained to me)

Do you have a better formula for me to look at or use to solve for x. (the % increase)

Let x=orig size
my copy is .78% of x
Let p=% increase

(1+P)(.78x) =x

x=28.2 or 28%

I still can't seem to solve this on my own?? Even with the #'s and the answer, I can't seem to build a bridge to the solution!!!!!

28% of 78 = .28 * 78 = 22
78 + 22 = 100
so the "78" is enlarged by 28% of itself, or 1.28 * 78 = 100, 1.28 being 128%

If you have a hard time understanding that, don't commit suicide; lotsa things WE all find hard understanding :wink:

Thank you for being so nice! S. Khan was vrey helpfull as well. Thanks for the support too.