Angle of Depression question

I've got as far as working out the length of line BC but I don't think I am on the right track when I look at the Mark Scheme.

I've got as far as working out the length of line BC but I don't think I am on the right track when I look at the Mark Scheme.
Hi @jno,

I think you're right. I can see no (good) reason for "
working out the length of line BC" either!

Consider my altered version of the diagram:-

2023-01-07.png
The height of the pole AB is CD + CE.

If you set the angle x to be 5° then that will provide a minimum value for
CE (if x is any greater than 5° then CE will be longer)

Using basic right-angled triangle trigonometry should enable you to calculate the length of CE when x = 5° (if not tell us) and, thence, the "required" height of AB.

(Consider the Tangent Ratio?)

Let us know how you get on (or not) from there.

NB: Remember that your answer is to be provided to 3 s.f.; please show us it to that level of 'accuracy'.

Last edited:
Um... The links in your post appear to point to a file on your computer...?

When you ask for "an explanation", are you seeking lesson instruction so you can learn about angles of declination / depression?

Thank you!

Eliz.
Ah my apologies. I was just seeking direction on how to go about working out the answer to the question. Not sure how many of these I will get in my upcoming exam.

thanks!

j

Attachments

• 22 JAN 2H QP.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 22 JAN 2H MS.pdf
    498.2 KB · Views: 0
@jno

You appear to have been happy with what I offered you (since you 'liked' my post) but you have not shown us what you did with the help I provided.

Please show us what you did with it or, at the very least, post the final answer you arrived at.

Thank you.