Arc Length

Surely, you were given some instructions in your textbook or class materials. Give it a go.

[math]\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{What?}\;dy[/math]
Tell us that and we can talk about evaluating the integral expression.

Have you considered transforming the problem statement to y = f(x), first? (Rather than x = g(y))

Surely, you were given some instructions in your textbook or class materials. Give it a go.

[math]\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{What?}\;dy[/math]
Tell us that and we can talk about evaluating the integral expression.

Have you considered transforming the problem statement to y = f(x), first? (Rather than x = g(y))

I have tried but I am very confused. Can you help me?

Yes, but you must answer my question. If you cannot answer my question, then you do not have sufficient background to tackle such a problem. Show YOUR work, ANYTHING, and let's see where it leads.

"I have tried..." doesn't mean enough. Show what you have tried.

What should you put under the square root sign in tkhunny's post. This is really just asking if you know the formula. Once you tell us the formula then we will see why you are having trouble figuring out exactly what does under the square root sign. Then we will help you do the integration. That is how you learn.

inside the radical I have 1+(-e^(-y))^2
Now you have to integrate [1 +(e-y)2]1/2dy

I would try some kind of trigonometric substitution involving 1 + tan2(Θ) = sec2(Θ) and get rid of the √ sign. Don't forget to transform "dy" and the limits.