Area between functions

The objective is to find the area between -2 and 2 of the intersection of these two functions:f(x) = [(x^3/3) - x] and g(x) = x/3So I figured I'd calculate the area of the left part first, but i got a negative value. Is that right? Because areas can't be negative.Anotação 2020-06-25 022319.png
here's my solution:
1593062663247.png

I'm not crazy about the wording. "Functions" are not geometric objects so there can't be an area between them! What is meant is the area between the graphs of the two functions.

Yes, the first thing I would do is look at the graphs of the equations. The second thing I would do is determine where the graphs intersect. That will be where \(\displaystyle y= \frac{x^3}{3}- x= \frac{x}{3}\). Since I hate fractions I would immediately multiply both sides by "3": \(\displaystyle x^3- 3x= x\) so \(\displaystyle x^3- 4x= x(x^2- 4)= x(x- 2)(x+ 2)= 0\). A product is 0 if and only if at least one of the terms is 0 so we must have x= 0, x- 2= 0, or x+ 2= 0. That is, x= 0, x= 2, and x= -2. Those look right on your graph, don't they?

The third thing I would do is notice that, for x between -2 and 0, the straight line graph, the graph of \(\displaystyle y= \frac{x}{3}\), is below the curved graph, the graph of \(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}- x\), and for x between 0 and -2 it is the opposite. Since area is always positive we need to integrate a positive function so, for x from -2 to 0 we need to integrate \(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}- x- \left(\frac{x}{3}\right)\) and for x from 0 to 2 we need to integrate \(\displaystyle \frac{x}{3}- \left(\frac{x^3}{3}- x\right)\).

The area betw0een the two graphs is
\(\displaystyle \int_{-2}^0 \frac{x^3}{3}- x- \frac{x}{3}dx+ \int_0^2 \frac{x}{3}- \frac{x^3}{3}+ x dx\)
\(\displaystyle = \int_{-2}^0 \frac{x^3}{3}- \frac{4x}{3}dx+ \int_0^2 \frac{4x}{3}- \frac{x^3}{3} dx\).

you can modify the function for making it easier for example add+5 so the right part is above the x=0, then if you can consider that is simetrical just take the diference of integration on both functions in the intervals, and then multiply by 2 so you can get the left part.The function has changed but the area that you want to calculate do not change and that's what matter

The step where you got the common denominator of 12, the numerator should be x4-8x2

You had 3 instead of 8