Area Under a Curve

sandi2001

So this question has been bugging me for several hours now. The problem is really simple until my prof wants me to find the area of the attached curve using HORIZONTAL STRIPS. Is it even possible to use horizontal strips in this type of curve? Can you guys help me out on how to approach this? Thank you very much!

Attachments

• one.PNG
    one.PNG
    126 KB · Views: 9
So this question has been bugging me for several hours now. The problem is really simple until my prof wants me to find the area of the attached curve using HORIZONTAL STRIPS. Is it even possible to use horizontal strips in this type of curve? Can you guys help me out on how to approach this? Thank you very much!
Sure, it's possible (though obviously not one's first choice). Just split the region into two parts (which look like they'll be equal), above and below the x-axis. Then you'll be using inverse trig functions.

Show us your work, so we can see if you're getting off to a bad start.

For horizontal strips, you will need to do it as two separate regions.

For y> 0 a horizontal strip will go from x= pi/2 to x= arcsin(y).
For y< 0 a horizontal strip will go from x= arccos(x) to pi.

Sure, it's possible (though obviously not one's first choice). Just split the region into two parts (which look like they'll be equal), above and below the x-axis. Then you'll be using inverse trig functions.

Show us your work, so we can see if you're getting off to a bad start.

Please let me know where I came off wrong. I'm really confused.

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_103645.jpg
    IMG_20201210_103645.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
For horizontal strips, you will need to do it as two separate regions.

For y> 0 a horizontal strip will go from x= pi/2 to x= arcsin(y).
For y< 0 a horizontal strip will go from x= arccos(x) to pi.

Hello, HallsofIvy. Is this what you meant by the parameters? I'm really confused on how to use them. Should I use the parameters on the upper and lower bounds of the integral?

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_103645.jpg
    IMG_20201210_103645.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
1607572885470.png

1607572848803.png

There's one little problem: the range of arcsin is -pi/2 to pi/2, and your x has to be between pi/2 and pi. How can you adjust?

(Halls seems to have missed this; I probably would have, too, in giving a quick suggestion and expecting you to fill in any gaps.)

For A1 y goes from 0 to 1. That part is clear to you based on the your limits in your integral.

Now as pointed out by Dr Peterson, arcsin is defined between -pi/2 and pi/2. Since our y value is between 0 and 1 then the x is between 0 and pi/2. Is there another region of the graph that has x between 0 and pi/2 AND has the same area that you want?? The answer is yes. Just look at the graph and you'll see it.

Same thing for A2

Thank you very much everyone. With your thoughts, I realized on what part should I be focusing on the graph. Keep safe!

I've decided to use the curve under the parameters: 0 - pi/2 for arcsin, and just use the given arccos curve under x since it falls on the arccos range (0 to pi).

Attachments

• one - Copy.PNG
    one - Copy.PNG
    126 KB · Views: 2
Can I turn A1 into pi/2 - arcsiny?
I would define the inverse function in that region as pi - arcsin(y), which is how we find the angle in the second quadrant with sine y. That leads to exactly what you came out with.