Arithmetic progression

Find the value of P and Q if p-1, q-1 and q+10 are in AP
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Think how you could factorize the denominator.

Find the value of p and q if p-1, q-1 and q+10 are in AP
What two quantities must be the same if these three numbers are in AP? Write that equation.

But since there will be only one equation, you can't determine the values of both p and q. Have you stated the entire problem?

Find the [values]
Hi Hellooooooooooooo. Given an arithmetic progression {p-1, q-1, q-11}, you could express p in terms of q, by first subtracting the progression's common difference from the middle element. Doing that yields an expression for the first element in terms of q, forming an equation to solve for p.

As Dr. Peterson alluded to above, having such an equation with two variables allows you to pick any Real value for one variable and then calculate the corresponding value of the other -- producing infinite solution possibilities. You need more information, to pick a specific solution (i.e., to find "the" values for p and q).

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

p-1, q-1 and q+10

To go from q-1 to q+10 you have to add 11
That is, (q-1)+11= q+10
So (p-1) + 11 = q-1. Now try to solve for p and q. Please post back your findings.

I am unable to understand please solve the whole question for me "Find the value of P and Q if p-1, q-1 and q+10 are in AP" and send me the answer of picture

I am unable to understand please solve the whole question for me "Find the value of P and Q if p-1, q-1 and q+10 are in AP" and send me the answer of picture
Have you understood that we have told you this doesn't have an answer, because there are many pairs of p and q that work?

Please give us something to work with. What is there that you do understand? Do you know what an arithmetic progression is? Did you leave out part of the problem?

Maybe start here: if q is, say, 10, then what are the last two terms? What does the first term have to be to make this an AP? What is p?

Then pick a different value of q and repeat.

Have you understood that we have told you this doesn't have an answer, because there are many pairs of p and q that work?

Please give us something to work with. What is there that you do understand? Do you know what an arithmetic progression is? Did you leave out part of the problem?

Maybe start here: if q is, say, 10, then what are the last two terms? What does the first term have to be to make this an AP? What is p?

Then pick a different value of q and repeat.
Okay thanks!

If p-1, q-1 and q+10 are in AP then q+10-(q-1)=q-1-(p-1)
q+10-q+1=q-1-p+1
11=q-p
Thus,d=11 ..................................................................................edited
Hence,we need more information to find out such specific solution.

Last edited by a moderator: