Assessment interview question

a.b.barker

Hi Everyone,

Im wondering if you can help me. Yesterday I had an interview where the following question was asked and I had no idea how to answer it. I was honest and said this, but its made me curious as to how you would go about answering.

The [company name] has 3 million customers. The average customer spends £1,900 with the company. The company is aware of two groups of people in the 3 million customers, most customers pay £1,700, but there is a group of customers who pay £2,300. What proportion of customers pay the higher amount?

Hi Everyone,

Im wondering if you can help me. Yesterday I had an interview where the following question was asked and I had no idea how to answer it. I was honest and said this, but its made me curious as to how you would go about answering.

The [company name] has 3 million customers. The average customer spends £1,900 with the company. The company is aware of two groups of people in the 3 million customers, most customers pay £1,700, but there is a group of customers who pay £2,300. What proportion of customers pay the higher amount?

Let the proportion of customers paying 2300 = H

Then

H * 2300 + (1 - H) * 1700 = 1900

calculate H

Hi Everyone,

Or another way a pays £2300, b pays £1700, so
\(\displaystyle \frac{2300\, a\, +\, 1700\, b}{a\, +\, b}\, =\, 1900\)
Fortunately you end up with the same answer.

Last edited: