Asymptotes

rtz2k4

[math]f:R\rightarrow R,\:f\left(x\right)=x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)[/math]So I have this function and i need to find out the asymptotes. Vertical asymptotes don't exist.
For horizontal asymptotes I got:
[math]\lim _{x\to \infty }f\left(x\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)\right)[/math]So i get the indetermination : [inf-inf]
[math]\lim _{x\to \infty \:}\left(ln\left(e^x\right)-ln\left(e^x+1\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(\frac{e^x}{e^{x+1}}\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(\frac{e^x}{e^x\cdot e}\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(\frac{1}{e}\right)=-1[/math]But the answer is wrong. I don't know why. The correct answer it's actually 0, but I don't understand what I did wrong.
Also, for oblique asymptotes I get:
[math]\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(\frac{f\left(x\right)}{x}\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(\frac{x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)}{x}\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(1-\frac{ln\left(e^x+1\right)}{x}\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(1-\frac{1}{e^x+1}\cdot e^x\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(\frac{1}{e^x+1}\right)=0[/math]Which is wrong, because I need to get 1.
What am I doing wrong?

Why is \(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to\infty}(1/e) = -1??\) Is it because ln(1/e) = -1?
What happened to the other limit? Why not calculate that one as well?

[math]\lim_{x\to\infty}ln(\frac{e^{x}} {e^{x}+1}) =\lim_{x\to\infty}ln\frac{e^{x} }{e^{x} (1+\frac{1}{e^{x}}) }=ln1=0[/math]I checked again and it seems that I've read [math]e^{x} +1[/math] as [math]e^{x+1}[/math], but now it's ok, I calculated again and the limit is correct. At oblique asymptoye I've just applied l'Hospital and calculated further and I got the wrong answer.

[math]\lim_{x\to\infty}ln(\frac{e^{x}} {e^{x}+1}) =\lim_{x\to\infty}ln\frac{e^{x} }{e^{x} (1+\frac{1}{e^{x}}) }=ln1=0[/math]I checked again and it seems that I've read [math]e^{x} +1[/math] as [math]e^{x+1}[/math], but now it's ok, I calculated again and the limit is correct. At oblique asymptoye I've just applied l'Hospital and calculated further and I got the wrong answer.
Again, you are leaving out one limit. Think about which one.

Again, you are leaving out one limit. Think about which one.
Alright, sorry for the late reply, I was really busy today.
So actually I forgot to calculate the other limit and I got.
[math]m=\lim \:_{x\to \:-\infty \:}\left(\frac{f\left(x\right)}{x}\right)=\lim \:_{x\to \:-\infty \:}\left(\frac{x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)}{x}\right)=\lim \:_{x\to \:-\infty \:}\left(1-\frac{1}{e^x+1}\cdot \:e^x\right)=\lim \:\:_{x\to \:-\infty \:\:}\left(\frac{1}{e^x+1}\right)=1[/math]because [math]e^x\rightarrow -\infty[/math] is now 0 and the answer is correct.
[math]n=\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(f\left(x\right)-mx\right)=\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)-x\right)=-\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(ln\left(e^x+1\right)\right)=-\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(ln\left(0+1\right)\right)=0[/math]So m=1 and n=0 and my oblique asymptote at -inf is y=mx+n which is y=x
[math]\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(f\left(x\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to \infty }\left(ln\left(\frac{e^x}{e^x+1}\right)\right)=ln\left(1\right)=0[/math]This is the horizontal asymptote to +inf.
[math]\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(f\left(x\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(x-ln\left(e^x+1\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(ln\left(\frac{e^x}{e^x+1}\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(ln\left(\frac{e^x}{e^x\left(\frac{1}{e^x}+1\right)}\right)\right)=\lim _{x\to -\infty }\left(ln\left(\frac{1}{\frac{1}{e^x}+1}\right)\right)=ln\left(0\right)=-\infty[/math]And this is the horizontal asymptote to -inf which doesn't exist because it's not a real number.
So, is this correct now?