Average Cost per disc, in $, for x discs is A(x)=(2x+100)/x

scubbasteevo

The average cost per disc, in dollars, for a company to produce x DVD's on exercising is given by the function

A(x) = 2x + 100
x , x > 0

a) Find the horizontal Asymptote of the graph
b) Explain the meaning of the answer to part (a) in terms of the application.

HUH? I do not understand this question. It looks like an equation/polynomial, but I don't know what to set it equal to.... > 0? = 0? There is a graph shown as a picture in the problem, but I'm not sure how I could put it on here from a book. I don't have a scanner. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

The average cost per disc, in dollars, for a company to produce x DVD's on exercising is given by the function

A(x) = 2x + 100
x , x > 0

a) Find the horizontal Asymptote of the graph
b) Explain the meaning of the answer to part (a) in terms of the application.

HUH? I do not understand this question. It looks like an equation/polynomial, but I don't know what to set it equal to.... > 0? = 0?

Do you understand what an asymptote is? It is a line the graph approaches, but never touches.

Question a) is asking you to describe the behavior of the graph as x approaches large, positive values. Look at the graph. What is the y value as x becomes very large? (Note: A(x) is the y axis.)

The problem states that x>0 because this is a “real world” problem, with x representing the number of discs produced. Therefore, x must be positive. Make sense?