Average velocity equal to instantaneous

eleni24

Hey guys
I want some help in math problem in function analysis. An oject is moving through a distance S. The question is when the average velocity equal to instantaneous velocity and asks for an example. Any answer would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

Suppose an object moves with constant velocity...when will the average and instantaneous velocities be the same?

Suppose an object moves with constant velocity...when will the average and instantaneous velocities be the same?
Oh, i think I got it. So when an object moves with constant velocity it means that Δυ=0 and in same time periods it moves same distances, meaning that in every moment it has the same instantaneous velocity, which is also same to the average. Right?

Oh, i think I got it. So when an object moves with constant velocity it means that Δυ=0 and in same time periods it moves same distances, meaning that in every moment it has the same instantaneous velocity, which is also same to the average. Right?

Yes, that's correct.

Suppose the object moves with constant (non-zero) acceleration. On the interval [MATH][0,t][/MATH], at what time will the instantaneous velocity be equal to the average velocity?

Hey guys
I want some help in math problem in function analysis. An oject is moving through a distance S. The question is when the average velocity equal to instantaneous velocity and asks for an example. Any answer would be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Average velocity is calculated between a time interval (say between t1 and t2).

Without a given time interval, this question does NOT make sense!!

It seems by what you said that you think MarkFL excellent example is the only case. This is not true at all.

Think about the intermediate value theorem. If you drive your car from 50 mph to 60 mph in 10 seconds then you hit every speed between 50 mph and 60 mph. Clearly your average velocity will be somewhere between 50 mph and 60 mph and at some point your instantaneous velocity will equal that average velocity.

Yes, that's correct.

Suppose the object moves with constant (non-zero) acceleration. On the interval [MATH][0,t][/MATH], at what time will the instantaneous velocity be equal to the average velocity?
I guess that it doesn't only have to do with the acceleration, right? I mean that what I understand, is that the average velocity will always be between the highest and the lowest value of instantaneous velocity as the velocity is a continuous function, I can't explain it better so if I say something wrong please tell me.But I can't think of it in practice. Could you please give me an example of that?

I
Average velocity is calculated between a time interval (say between t1 and t2).

Without a given time interval, this question does NOT make sense!!
I think that the question is general so i'm supposed to put it into the time interval i want.

It seems by what you said that you think MarkFL excellent example is the only case. This is not true at all.

Think about the intermediate value theorem. If you drive your car from 50 mph to 60 mph in 10 seconds then you hit every speed between 50 mph and 60 mph. Clearly your average velocity will be somewhere between 50 mph and 60 mph and at some point your instantaneous velocity will equal that average velocity.
Does saying that the velocity is a continuous function make any sense? I totally got what you wanna say.But want to unserstand how the intermediate value theorem does work in that case.

I guess that it doesn't only have to do with the acceleration, right? I mean that what I understand, is that the average velocity will always be between the highest and the lowest value of instantaneous velocity as the velocity is a continuous function, I can't explain it better so if I say something wrong please tell me.But I can't think of it in practice. Could you please give me an example of that?

Suppose the acceleration \(a\) is constant, so that the velocity \(v\) at time \(t\) is given by:

[MATH]v(t)=at+v_0[/MATH]
Now, the average velocity \(\overline{v}\) is defined as the total distance \(d\) traveled in some time \(t_1\):

[MATH]\overline{v}=\frac{d}{t_1}[/MATH]
But, we also have (from the area under the linear velocity function over the interval \([0,t_1]\), which forms a trapezoid):

[MATH]d=\frac{t_1}{2}(at_1+2v_0)[/MATH]
Hence:

[MATH]\overline{v}=\frac{\dfrac{t_1}{2}(at_1+2v_0)}{t_1}=\frac{1}{2}at_1+v_0[/MATH]
Equating this to the velocity function, there results:

[MATH]\frac{1}{2}at_1+v_0=at+v_0[/MATH]
[MATH]t=\frac{1}{2}t_1[/MATH]
And so as out intuition might expect, with constant acceleration, the instantaneous velocity is equal to the average velocity half way through the time interval.

Does saying that the velocity is a continuous function make any sense? I totally got what you wanna say.But want to unserstand how the intermediate value theorem does work in that case.
The answer to your question depends on what you mean. Can the velocity function be continuous? Absolutely. So yes, saying that a velocity function is continuous can make sense. On the other hand, if you are saying that all velocity functions are continuous that is a different question. Suppose v(t) = 1/(t-2)2. Is this function continuous?

The answer to your question depends on what you mean. Can the velocity function be continuous? Absolutely. So yes, saying that a velocity function is continuous can make sense. On the other hand, if you are saying that all velocity functions are continuous that is a different question. Suppose v(t) = 1/(t-2)2. Is this function continuous?
Domain? It is continuous for t > 2. It is also continuous for other values of 't'.

This is why I am not an engineer. v(t) is not continuous at t=2.
Thus to answer your question:

Suppose v(t) = 1/(t-2)2. Is this function continuous?

The answer depends on the domain!!

It is NOT continuous in the domain 0 < t < 4

It IS continuous in the domain 3 < t < 7

So the answer depends on the domain of your query.

Thus to answer your question:

Suppose v(t) = 1/(t-2)2. Is this function continuous?

The answer depends on the domain!!

It is NOT continuous in the domain 0 < t < 4

It IS continuous in the domain 3 < t < 7

So the answer depends on the domain of your query.
Yes, you are correct. I will say as you wish master. The domain for my function v(t) is t > 0.