Bar graph calculus

usertest2021

Anyone can tell what's the way to solve this, please? I am not sure how to interpret the question, if I should count just the numbers of children that said their favourite color are the other 4 colours, or I should look and get the total number of children which should be 500 and substract the ones who liked the pink colour (89)? I'm very confused.
Thank you!

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
Why should the total number of children be 500? Have you been given that information?

Anyone can tell what's the way to solve this, please? I am not sure how to interpret the question, if I should count just the numbers of children that said their favourite color are the other 4 colours, or I should look and get the total number of children which should be 500 and substract the ones who liked the pink colour (89)? I'm very confused.
Thank you!
It seems like adding up the other 4 colors should be right. But if you were told the total should be 500, the problem must be missing something.

It seems like adding up the other 4 colors should be right. But if you were told the total should be 500, the problem must be missing something.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know, no I wasn't told anything else, all the problem is there in the attachment.

The numbers given for "not pink" are 46, 44, 35, and 73 which add to 198.

With pink, 198+ 89= 287, NOT 500!

Please tell us where that 500 came from, to bring closure to the question. How did you resolve the problem?

Well, as in every problem I had to solve in this test, there is a (functional) logic side that has to be applied, as well.
Similar to (for example): "A teacher is taking kids of a class to a one day trip, there are 18 students in the class, one minibus can accomodate 12 students, how many minibuses are needed?" the mathematic answer is 1.5 minibuses but the logic answer is 2 (because half minibus is not functional anyway).
Now, in my example,, what made me think is: a "large" nursery and how many children "did not say pink" is their favourite colour We can add up the 4 columns and get the result. But, there might be children who said others colours as well, others than the 5th colours and there could be as well children who maybe did not say anything - no reply - picked no option from the 5 colours presented (the kids were shown 5 colours but there are 11 basic colours out there), or may not having been to the nursery in that day, or any other million possibilities. Since the highest round number close to the highest number counted in our situation (89) is 100, the graph has been raised up to 100, in order to be able to accomodate the total number of children in terms of adding up. If the question of the problem would been "how many children picked the others 4 colours as their favourite instead of pink?" then that would been a plain, specific question, needed a clear solving by adding up the values in the 4 columns colours, except pink. But, how many kids "did not say pink" leaves the door open to a whole loads lot plenty of interpretation, logic and speculation, which is why I posted this problem here.
Right or wrong? (puppy eyes)

Yes, there might be other children who like other colors that are unmentioned but why do you assume there are and why do you that there are exactly 313 unmentioned children bringing the total to 500? That is not very "FUNCTIONAL"! It is not very logical to assume anything other than what you are told in the problem. This is not at all like extending "half a bus" to a whole bus as in your example.

So 500 was based on filling up each column in the chart and thinking it meant something? That isn't how bar charts work.

The right thing to say, when you are faced with a problem that leaves the sort of hole you recognized, is something like, "Assuming that every child chose one of the four colors, 198 chose something other than pink. Without such an assumption, the problem can't be answered".

And the right way to ask us about it would be to say what you did here, explaining your thinking. Adding the mention of 500 without explanation just wasted a lot of time.