base 2, 5, 10 etc.

mathew

Can someone please explain this process, and why is this method of counting better than egyptian, or greek?

Can someone please explain this process, and why is this method of counting better than egyptian, or greek?

It would be a bit lengthy to explain. I suggest you do a search using "number bases." One result can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix

I will mention, however that binary is very handy for computer operations. Computers rely on transistors, which may be switched either "off" or "on"; these two positions can represent the numbers 0 and 1. Thus, computers perform all their calculations in binary.

There are also other bases used in computing that deal with the size of bytes (or various bit length strings).

Other number systems, such as Roman numerals have some disadvantages -- no 0 or negative numbers, for example (but that is not really a difference in base).

Hope that helps a little.

Something is better than nothing

My research says I need to post here. Thanks for the website. Thank you wmj11 and Kahn

My research says I need to post here. Thanks for the website. Thank you wmj11 and Kahn
You are really asking two different questions.

Modern systems of symbolizing numbers use place values. Place values make numeric computations much easier. How would you compute

XVIII times LIX?

Have you ever seen a modern date in Roman numerals: MCMXCVII. Tough to interpret.

Using "arabic numerals," and place value is much easier to understand than more primitive methods and makes for easier computation.

But using arabic numerals can be done in various ways. Base 2 uses only 2 of the arabic numerals. Base 5 uses only 5 of them. Base 10 uses all 10 of them. Base 16 uses all ten of them plus adds six more.

The use of different bases is convenient under different circumstances. In designing computers, base 2 is conceptually convenient as wjm already told you. However, base 2 leads to numbers with lots of digits. For example

\(\displaystyle 11011_{2} = 98_{10} = 62_{16}.\)

Base 10 is used because people have ten fingers. It makes learning easy.

Of course modern computers use Hexadecimal system (base 16 or 24) - an iteration on base 2 system.

Last edited by a moderator: